Fathers' Stash of Antique Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Laurels

Reaction score
Here are descriptions of a couple of the bottles in my father's collection. I haven't mastered uploading photos yet, so will rely just on descriptions this time.

1) The first bottle is 5 inches tall with a rectangular bottom section and a round neck and spout . The color is a very light aqua. One edge of the bottle says "D. Mitchell." The opposite side says "Rochester. N.Y." There is a scrap of label that has handwritten words. The only words I can read are the second line that says "for sore throat." The bottom section appears to have a seam on one corner, but the spout has none. Could a handmade neck have been attached to the bottom molded section?

2) The second bottle is dark brown with a small screwed on metal lid. The bottle is about 6 1/2 inches tall. It has two seams in opposite corners of the rectangular bottle. The paper label is intact and says "GLOVER'S Imperial Sarcoptic Mange Medicine. Also an antiseptic HAIR APPLICATION. Sprinkle lightly once or twice weekly-enough to moisten the scalp...." It goes on to explain that it can be used for dogs or livestock, etc. The bottom of the rather long label says "H. Clay Glover Co., Inc., 119-121 Fifth Ave. New York. On the back of the bottle is embossed "Glover's Imperial Medicine. On one side is embossed "H. Clay Glover Co." The other side says "New York." I can still smell the tarry scent of the medicine when I unscrew the top.

Anyone know anything about these bottles?

JohnRoy

Reaction score
"GLOVER'S Imperial Sarcoptic Mange Medicine

Click on the following URL for some information about the "Glover's" bottle.
http://tjs-labs.com/advertising/show-picture.php?id=1097006927

Laurels

Reaction score
I just saw your response. Thanks! I went to the site and printed the info.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
INTERESTING I will have to go back and re-read it again. They sound like veterinarian bottles to me. I have some, but I never got into the details of the medications used for the animals. You didn't give any embossed information from the bottoms of the bottles. The big question is Are there any vertical seams on the bottles finishes. Vertical seams there - quickly tell us when a bottle is machine made. No seams there make us look deeper into the gottlew we collect. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
The absence of vertical seams on the top finish = tells us that it was cut off from the lowpipe and tooled by twisting the empontiled bottle to shape the desired closure form. Some times there will be horizontal tool marks on the finished glass and sometimes there will be sloppy glass on the neck under the tooled finish. Hand and mouth blown glass has been my greatest interest since retiring from selling metal mold equipment castings to the worlds glass factories. RED Matthews

sunrunner

Reaction score
I did not know glover made mange medicine for humans . perhaps that is what they were calling dandruff. lol.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles