Found on RI Shore

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

elmoleaf

Reaction score
The material looks like architectural cast stone....basically concrete cast in a mold. Often used for building cornices, architectural elements etc. Another possibility is cast stone lawn statuary type stuff....bird baths, wall caps, patio bench etc.
Both of these types of things were extremely popular in 1920s.

ajohn

Reaction score
That don't look like concrete to me!? But then again it looks like 119 to me too![8D]

PASodas

Reaction score
I found what I thought to be an early architectural brick on the coast of New Hampshire once, brick sized but cement colored, very worn . . . turned out to be a weight for a lobster cage. The surf seems to wear them quickly. No debossing though.

splante

Reaction score
get a hold of RIbottleguy, he might be able to shed some light on it.....

JustGlass

Reaction score
Wow thanks for all your suggestions. Being on a ocean shore I would expect it to not to be to old of a engaving. I would expect it to be worn off in the ocean surf in a short period of time. What puzzles me is the ground down areas that are very obvious and that Ive seen many times before in indian tools that I find and collect. The shape which if was a brick like would have to be very worn or possibly broken to get to this size and shape. It really doesn't have the feel, look or weight a cement type object. It is heavy and very stong and soild like stone although you can see a mix of small stones in it. Im guessing it was used in some type of stone work in a coastal home or landscape. If I get some time I will show it to a builder / landscaper and see what they say. By the way it is 3 1/2 inches long and 2 inches wide at it's widest point.

PASodas

Reaction score
It could be granite, very native to the area, much stronger than brick or cement and would wear much slower. Probably architectural, most early headstones were marble.

Southernmost1

Reaction score
Looks to me like an older poured concrete weight for a lobster or crab trap, 611 is probably the trap tag number.

ajohn

Reaction score
I suggest giving it the acid test.(viniger will work).Any product that is lime based will dissolve(bubble) when an acid is applied. Including marble, but not granite. It sure doesn't look like a poured cementacious product to me. Still kooks like a119 to me too[8|]

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Probably some sort of concrete molding for a building, most likely industrial? It's been worn smooth by the ocean, otherwise it would have sharp corners and edges.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib