German First World War Trench Find…

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Laird of Camster

Reaction score
Hi Ladies and Gents,

Am new to the forum, this being my first post.

I have no knowledge of the subject so please forgive my ignorance. I happened across this item which I thought might be of interest?

Total long shot, but is it at all possible to ascertain anything more about it? Which brewery it came from, etc? (I assume it is a beer bottle?).
I found it in the location of the First World War, German third line trenches between Thiepval Memorial and Leipzig Salient (of the first day of the Somme fame).
Interestingly the same German dug/held that part of the line between 1915 and when the Allies captured it in October 1916. This unit being the 26th Reserve Division. This division was formed from men recruited from Württemberg. If you click on the link, you’ll see that the Wurttemburg coat of arms is the emblem on the shard.

(If only it could talk!!)

So over to you guys, can anyone offer any further information about it?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1E99F03B-8819-4A84-AA63-C3217DF7352E.jpeg
    1E99F03B-8819-4A84-AA63-C3217DF7352E.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 97
  • D1DF6977-2809-4D8E-99F5-0DE708925CCE.jpeg
    D1DF6977-2809-4D8E-99F5-0DE708925CCE.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 102

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! That'll be a tough one, because I don't think we've got any regulars here familiar with German beer bottles. The only way you'd be likely to be able to identify it is if someone recognized it or you could find a photo matching it. Since you know the coat of arms you'll need to look for bottles embossed with the coat of arms, there probably aren't that many from that era but I find European bottles typically aren't as well-documented as their North American counterparts, so that can still be tricky. Presuming that you speak German you're probably better suited for searching the internet for a match than we are.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I live in an area with few bottle dumps so I often am left with playing "archeologist" with glass fragments. I've found that the most useful way of figuring out what bottle the fragment is from is simply by talking to local diggers. I haven't a clue if there's a bottle-digging culture in Germany but if there is, a simple conversation can get you much further than anything you could possibly hope to find online.

For me personally, finding those groups is most easily done via Facebook or other social media platforms. Otherwise, looking up certain keywords in the native language may result in something useful. I find lots of Japanese bottles here in Hawaii so browsing, for example, Mercari Japan can sometimes help with a positive ID.

Hope this helps and I really hope you can figure this out.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Not sure whether it’s a coincidence or not.

But out of the 11 breweries listed on the internet that I could find, still in existence in Württemberg only one, the Stuttgarter Hofbräu appears to use the Württemberg coat of arms.

Any thoughts on that, anyone?
This is another one which looks like a decent candidate, although I can't find a picture of a matching bottle. https://www.tuepedia.de/wiki/Brauerei_G._Marquardt

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen