How to Protect Bottles From Cats?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

photolitherland

Reaction score
I just picked up the nicest stray cat that had been abandoned a few days ago. Im moving into a new apartment that will be rather small. I was wondering if any of you have cats and if so how do you protect your bottles from cats jumping on them etc. I will only have two shelves and Im pretty sure the cat could jump up on any parts of them. Is buying museum putty enough to protect them or should I just try and find the cat another home? I really like the cat but I dont want to have my antique bottles broken all over the floor one day.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have had a cat for 12 years. The only time the cat broke bottles was when a bird got in the house and there was a chase. More the birds fault really. I have bottles all over and the cat doesnt fool with them.

Jim

Reaction score
All of my bottles are either in glass cases or very high out of reach. I have two cats, and have never had a bottle broken by them. Cats are curious by nature, and they WILL check everything out, even if they know it's off limits. They'll just do it when you're not looking (or at least when they think you're not). I would not trust putty to hold. Cats are strong for their small size, and I think they could dislodge the putty and dump your bottles without much effort.

To be safe, I would keep any breakable objects out of kitty's reach. ~Jim

Matt, You have a well-behaved feline. My two devils could learn a thing or two from your cat [:D]

RedGinger

Reaction score
Keep the cat! He's found a good home, so please let him stay. Our cats aren't interested in bottles at all. The one likes toilet paper (he's pretty much grown out of it, though). I would just keep the bottles away from any place they might jump onto to get a better look, like a low shelf under a window. I'm sure you'll get lots of tips, but just keep the bottles displayed in places where they wouldn't be easily knocked over by people either.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I wanted to add that cats are very agile. They can hop and slink and walk the edge of my bathtub without falling or getting a hair out of place. We have broken more bottles ourselves than our cats, who only broke one a long time ago. So, it can happen, but is not likely to. Bottles are great, but they are still just things and no match for the lifetime of love your stray cat will give you.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I have 4 cats and the only time I had a bottle knocked down by one was my the kitten that would crawl through the stair rail onto "shelves" of boxes that I have stacked next to the staircase. She's now to big to fit through there and bottles are all over elsewhere and I haven't had any other problems... yet.... [8|]

Poison_Us

Reaction score
We have 1 cat (Jake) and we keep everything between the Curio Cabinet and the China Hutch. The hutch is all the overflow from the curio. We got this one as space is at a premium in this apt.

stock photo
EdwardianII.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL