I'm new and I have a new (to me) bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mekiper

Reaction score
Hi! I am a native of Shreveport, La. I am not really a bottle collector, but I have been in the estate sale busi ess for 17 years, so I try to know at least a little bit about a whole lot of things.

I recent years I have been picking up most of the bottles I find that we're made here in Shreveport. I have found some neat items, but i recently found one that I believe to be of some value. It is not a Shreveport bottle, but New Orleans. From some brief research, I believe it is a hard to find example.

I plan to sell the bottle online and since I recently joined this forum, I thought why not stop in, say hi, and show it to y'all. I am also curious if there is anything specific I need to know or look for when listing this item. I know that collectors in certain niches are extremely picky about certain aspects of the items they collect. Is there anything like that I should be aware of in the bottle collecting world? I would greatly appreciate anything that might help me be better prepared as a seller.

Thank you for allowing me to join, I look forward to learning from y'all.

Attachments

• bottleair.jpg
    bottleair.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 81
  • bottle2.jpg
    bottle2.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 86
  • bottleflat.jpg
    bottleflat.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 76
  • bottle3.jpg
    bottle3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 81
  • bottlebottom.jpg
    bottlebottom.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 72
  • bottlec.jpg
    bottlec.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 72
  • bottle4.jpg
    bottle4.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 83

hemihampton

Reaction score
To me it looks to be about 1850's Iron Pontiled Bottom. That & the green color all 3 good combinations to have. Could be valuable, I've seen some bottles similar to this sell for $100 & some for a couple thousand depending on rarity & condition. not sure how rare yours is but nice find. congrats. Leon.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
I agree with Leon, this is a pretty great find Mekiper. All the makings of a beautiful display bottle in someone's New Orleans collection - great color, iron pontiled bottom and that beautiful top.

I did a little deeper digging and found a few sources that talk about this bottle and F.A. Conant's company. The site bottlepickers.com has a short article and a few pictures of a different variant than yours. They state that F.A. Conant (Frederick Augustus Conant) began manufacturing/bottling mineral water in 1842, and in 1851 he moved to 252 Girod Street, the address list on your bottle. Here's a link to their page: https://www.bottlepickers.com/bottle_articles90.htm
This seems to contradict sodasandbeers.com, which seems to date it between 1847-49. I'm not sure which is correct. http://www.sodasandbeers.com/SABShowBottle.aspx?Bottle=50767AA&Firm_Number=50767

As far as price, I can find one for sale but the pictures of the bottle are not working on that site. They list theirs for $230, however one just sold on eBay about 2 weeks ago for $265 after receiving 32 bids. Seems like a pretty good pick up if you got it for the right price!

Mekiper

Reaction score
I agree with Leon, this is a pretty great find Mekiper. All the makings of a beautiful display bottle in someone's New Orleans collection - great color, iron pontiled bottom and that beautiful top.

I did a little deeper digging and found a few sources that talk about this bottle and F.A. Conant's company. The site bottlepickers.com has a short article and a few pictures of a different variant than yours. They state that F.A. Conant (Frederick Augustus Conant) began manufacturing/bottling mineral water in 1842, and in 1851 he moved to 252 Girod Street, the address list on your bottle. Here's a link to their page: https://www.bottlepickers.com/bottle_articles90.htm
This seems to contradict sodasandbeers.com, which seems to date it between 1847-49. I'm not sure which is correct. http://www.sodasandbeers.com/SABShowBottle.aspx?Bottle=50767AA&Firm_Number=50767

As far as price, I can find one for sale but the pictures of the bottle are not working on that site. They list theirs for $230, however one just sold on eBay about 2 weeks ago for $265 after receiving 32 bids. Seems like a pretty good pick up if you got it for the right price!
Thanks for the info, I see the one on ebay that sold for $365, however it is a different bottle. I have only found a single comp for the bottle I have. It sold a year ago for $1,200.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409_172059_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_172059_Firefox.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 29

hemihampton

Reaction score
In my opinion I have some bad news, after supersizing & blowing up pics it appears the surface of the bottle is extremely rough & pitted with thousands of little pits. Me being a Bottle Tumbler/Cleaner I know no way of getting rid of that unless it got a super heavy duty tumble which this bottle should not get due to the top letters in conant n&t or was it t&s are worn off & some letters in address worn off so any embossing will suffer more loss in a heavy duty tumble. A light tumble wouldn't do much to improve as pits will still be there. Condition not that good & unlikely to improve. A Attic mint bottle in excellent condition might get $1,200.00 but not this bottle unfortunately. just my opinion, others may vary? Leon.

Mekiper

Reaction score
In my opinion I have some bad news, after supersizing & blowing up pics it appears the surface of the bottle is extremely rough & pitted with thousands of little pits. Me being a Bottle Tumbler/Cleaner I know no way of getting rid of that unless it got a super heavy duty tumble which this bottle should not get due to the top letters in conant n&t or was it t&s are worn off & some letters in address worn off so any embossing will suffer more loss in a heavy duty tumble. A light tumble wouldn't do much to improve as pits will still be there. Condition not that good & unlikely to improve. A Attic mint bottle in excellent condition might get $1,200.00 but not this bottle unfortunately. just my opinion, others may vary? Leon.
I never meant to imply that the condition of this bottle was the same or that it would fetch that price. I don't know enough about bottles to assess the condition. I was simply sharing the only comp I have been able to find on the same bottle.

As far as tumbling goes, I tend to allow collectors make their own decisions on how to clean or restore items after purchase. I will likely list it on ebay in an auction and let the market decide the value.

Thank you for your input.

Mekiper

Reaction score
if you do list on ebay post a link here. Good Luck. Leon.
Just listed it, here you go!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson