Need some advice about an outhouse. Thanks!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rvcdigger

Reaction score
Why anyone on here would tell you not to waste your time is beyond comprehension. Us experienced diggers know that there are no rules when it comes to digging. Don't mean to toot my own horn but I know a thing or two. I wish you the best of luck and leave no hole undug.

KBbottles

Reaction score
Thanks RVC! I've even had some experience digging shallow privies that were never finished because previous diggers didn't like the type of ash in them or thought they weren't old enough. Once I found a nice early smooth base squat soda right in the opposite side of the wall of a woodliner pit that was given up on. You just never know! [:D]

screlichunter

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the encouragement!

I will be doing some probing this week and will post my findings as I get further into my investigation.

Thanks again!

THE BADGER

Reaction score
HEY WHATS UP SC,I ALSO AGREE WITH RVCDIGGER AND KB,WHY WOULDNT YOU TRY IT WHEN YOU GOT PERMISSION.EVERYBODY IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION BUT IF YOU GOT PERMISSION DONT WASTE IT I WOULD DIG THAT THING TO THE BOTTOM YOU JUST NEVER KNOW AND YES AS RVC SAID THERE ARE NO LOGICAL REASONS FOR ANY OF THIS JUST DIG IT.I WOULD CHECK AROUND THE AREA OF THE STANDIND PRIVY THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER BUT DONT GIVE UP ON THE OTHER EITHER COULD HAVE FILLED THE PIT WITH OLD STUFF FROM THE BARN OR HOUSE. GOOD LUCK BADGER

rmckin

Reaction score
Hi,

I dunno about this. When I was a kid visiting my Grandparent's farm, it was almost a Capital Offense to drop anything into the privy except what belonged there.

It was built on a hillside, so there was like a 6 foot drop and then the pit was 4'-5' deep. The under-portion was enclosed, with a door. Had a forked post sunk into the ground and another post with a bucket attached to the end. A crude lever type devise to muck out the hole when full. Where it went to afterward, I don't know....I remember my Dad saying that whoever was in the most trouble at the appointed time got that job!!

I remember the Sears-Roebuck catalog, and what it was used for after a quick look thru. Also remember a bag of lime kept in the corner...My Dad told me once that the "outhouse" was worth big money, being built from Chestnut lumber

The farm is now owned by a Doctor. I would love to dig the dump there, but the odds of that happening are slim to none.

Thanks for bringing back privy memories!!!
Ron

screlichunter

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I went back there today on the way home from work, right before it got dark, just to try to locate remnants of some trash piles. I found a few potential areas. I will try to probe around and take some photos of the out-house tomorrow if the weather is better. Just to let you folks see that it is not a port-a-john. LOL

Thanks to all again!

tigue710

Reaction score
Its worth probing I guess to feel if there is any trash but most farm privy's were not used for trash, they had plenty of places to throw it. It was typical in the city where there was no where to throw the trash, (except for haul it to the dump), to throw trash in the privy. Might be a random bottle or two pops was trying to hide on the farm though...

screlichunter

Reaction score
I agree tigue. Maybe the man was hiding the Dispensary bottles from his wife. Hopefully he had a drinking problem.

I forgot I snapped one photo today of the house. Folks haven't lived here in a while.

Thanks again!

14B4D23B17AD497C92E89CDE2EE2B221.jpg

Attachments

• 14B4D23B17AD497C92E89CDE2EE2B221.jpg
    14B4D23B17AD497C92E89CDE2EE2B221.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 92

rvcdigger

Reaction score
Excellent. If you can get into the crawlspace under the kitchen in the back, thats a prime spot for artifacts of all kinds. Take lots of pics of the inside of the house for us. Strangely enough, we like that stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin