New W.P. Knickerbocker soda pontiled variant

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
Picked this up at a local auction. I paid for it but I know its a rare variant. Cant find auction record for this style. Iron pontiled beauty and very close to mint. Super shape for a soda. Any ideas? I find a vague reference to this bottle as being made for a year only but no more info. Any info appreciated. Johnny M.
Shape and color can designate product. Green squat style bottles were usually for porter beer. Blue bottles tend to be sodas or mineral waters. The "pony"style in any color usually contained soda. Beer may not have been a major product for this bottler, thus the rarity?

Johnny M

Reaction score
Shape and color can designate product. Green squat style bottles were usually for porter beer. Blue bottles tend to be sodas or mineral waters. The "pony"style in any color usually contained soda. Beer may not have been a major product for this bottler, thus the rarity?
Interesting info. Could be that's why it's so scarce. I saw a notation on some website commenting on this style with no pic unfortunately that indicated it was only made like this for 1 year. Maybe it's true? Johnny M.

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
This is a "porter" bottle of William Pond & Company of New York. They purchased the Bottling works of Samual Smith, when he left New York City and moved to either Troy or Auburn in 1850. The Smith sided soda bottles also carry the 1848 date and Pond & Co. used his same mold and substituted "WP" over the "SS" initials. Both the Smith and Pond versions of the sided soda bottles come in blue, green, and aqua. Blue is by far the most common color. The porter bottles, like this one, only come in shades of green and date to the early 1850s. I have never seen this porter in aqua or blue, just green, Links below:

Smith Sided Soda
Pond Sided Soda
Pond Porter
All Samuel Smith Bottles (New York, Auburn, Charleston, Chicago)
All bottles marked WP
All Bottles marked Pond & Co

Johnny M

Reaction score
This is a "porter" bottle of William Pond & Company of New York. They purchased the Bottling works of Samual Smith, when he left New York City and moved to either Troy or Auburn in 1850. The Smith sided soda bottles also carry the 1848 date and Pond & Co. used his same mold and substituted "WP" over the "SS" initials. Both the Smith and Pond versions of the sided soda bottles come in blue, green, and aqua. Blue is by far the most common color. The porter bottles, like this one, only come in shades of green and date to the early 1850s. I have never seen this porter in aqua or blue, just green, Links below:

Smith Sided Soda
Pond Sided Soda
Pond Porter
All Samuel Smith Bottles (New York, Auburn, Charleston, Chicago)
All bottles marked WP
All Bottles marked Pond & Co
Wow! You know your stuff. Any sales records or estimate of value in today's market? I can't find one ever sold. Johnny M.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Aint you the same guy that sold the 1850's barrel beer pontiled from 1850's at Auction? Maybe try Auctioning this one to see what it gets? Leon.

Johnny M

Reaction score
Aint you the same guy that sold the 1850's barrel beer pontiled from 1850's at Auction? Maybe try Auctioning this one to see what it gets? Leon.
Yup. Yeah that's a thought I had when buying it but if it's just a 300.00 bottle I might as well keep or Ebay it. Hoping somebody knows about one that sold, even privately.I already considered American Glass Gallery again but missed the consignment time window I bet for the November auction. I'm not needing to rush it off the shelf either. I couldn't believe the payday for that Belleville beer for myself and for the hobby. Glad to be the discoverer of a key example for the beer guys! Johnny M.

hemihampton

Reaction score
if you ebay it lets us know, I'll watch it. Leon.

Johnny M

Reaction score
if you ebay it lets us know, I'll watch it. Leon.
You bet. Probably gonna hold it for a bit. Still don't have a good read on rarity and it looks nice on the mantle at mom's house. Johnny M.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2