Non typical autralian bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FORT

Reaction score
Hi,

This is one of the bottles I have the most trouble with. These are Australian bottles that were given to me. I have three of the same type, two dated 1918 and one 1921 (dates engraved in the glass). I assume they're beer bottles.

The problem, in fact, is to understand how they were made: some clues suggest that they were machine-made, but the mould marks on the neck don't match and suggest a tooled finishing, and therefore a blown bottle (see photo in attachment). I can send you photos if you need them.

Have you had similar cases?

Thanks for your help and for sharing.

Christine

Attachments

• non typical bottle.jpg
    non typical bottle.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 58

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! These bottles are definitely machine-made. A tooled bottle can't have seams which run all the way to the top of the lip. What you're seeing is just a bit of imperfection in the glass, early machine-made bottles commonly had that sort of thing.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I have a early machine made beer from Japan that is extremely wrinkled. I deal with a lot of early Japanese bottles and most have super crazy imperfections. Ill post pics in a bit.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
1000000765.jpg

My wrinkly machine-made crown top Japanese import beer.

Here's some other odd ones:

Notice the wrinkles on the shoulder and neck of this Kinsen soda bottle. Unfortunately cracked in shipping.
1000000767.jpg

Lots of bubbles, swirls, and really uneven glass in this Mitsuya cider bottle, interestingly machine made instead of the usual turn-molds.
1000000769.jpg

Misshapen medicine bottle. This one's blown and tooled but I share it because of how crazy the slug plate is. Not totally uncharacteristic of Japanese hospital bottles.
1000000770.jpg

Reactions: Roy

FORT

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! These bottles are definitely machine-made. A tooled bottle can't have seams which run all the way to the top of the lip. What you're seeing is just a bit of imperfection in the glass, early machine-made bottles commonly had that sort of thing.
Thank you very much for your reply... It's great to be able to chat like this !

FORT

Reaction score
View attachment 251893
My wrinkly machine-made crown top Japanese import beer.

Here's some other odd ones:

Notice the wrinkles on the shoulder and neck of this Kinsen soda bottle. Unfortunately cracked in shipping.
View attachment 251894

Lots of bubbles, swirls, and really uneven glass in this Mitsuya cider bottle, interestingly machine made instead of the usual turn-molds.
View attachment 251895

Misshapen medicine bottle. This one's blown and tooled but I share it because of how crazy the slug plate is. Not totally uncharacteristic of Japanese hospital bottles.
View attachment 251896
Thank you very much for your reply and your post. I's a beautiful bottle. It's a piece of history !

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen