Noob or Vocabulary thread/forum?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SkinsFan36

Reaction score
I am not even what you would call a bottle collector as many have probably noticed but I still come here everyday because I enjoy looking and reading about all the things you guys collect. Sometimes I am lost though when it comes to the terms used to describe these bottles. I was wondering if maybe anyone was interested in creating a forum or thread on these terms. Like just the term or definition and a pic of what it is. Things like: Bruise, Fleabite, Flashing, Hazed, Etched, Applied lip, Tooled lip, Blown In Mold, Strap side flask, etc, etc. There are so many new people like me I see pop up all the time looking for info. Just a thought and I know it would be a lot to ask for. Maybe this already exists and I just don't know it. Anyway you know the site has to be good when a non-collector like myself has stayed around as long as I have so thank you for having such a great site.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
read through this website and most of your questions will likely be answered
http://www.sha.org/bottle/

SkinsFan36

Reaction score
Oh yes I know that I can go somewhere else and learn all the terminology in probably 100 different sites. I just figured it would be neat to have it here. All the while giving members opportunities to show their bottles with examples of the terms and whatnot. Thought it may generate more traffic here as well.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
the problem is this is an active forum. Anything posted gets buried quickly unless it is made a sticky and those pile up fast.
Information like that is best done on a website were it can be more static.
Here is my attempt if that helps you any...
http://antiquemedicines.com/bottletypes/bottletypes.htm

SkinsFan36

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

the problem is this is an active forum. Anything posted gets buried quickly unless it is made a sticky and those pile up fast.
Information like that is best done on a website were it can be more static.
Here is my attempt if that helps you any...
http://antiquemedicines.com/bottletypes/bottletypes.htm

I can see what you are saying. Your website is great. Exactly the style of pic-definition/explanation I want to see when I am trying to understand terms. That's how it should be. Not a definition containing 5 other terms I have to look up just to get through it. Thank you.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] That site that Matt put up in this post is the BEST re terms and Red mathews site is another one you should visit, You will not have to go any where else to learn all thatyou would want to know in bottle terms and probably more than you can use......

msleonas

Reaction score
Based on the antiquemeds website are all 3 piece mold bottles dated between 1850s - 1880s? If so is a Buchanan Black and White 2 piece mold Whiskey bottle that old?

Thanks

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
no, the dates are just general periods of manufacture. There are always exceptions. Three piece molds were used into the 20th century

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Picture this on a bottle. It almost looks the same.[:D]
(Flea Bites)

48EC41C591ED43A5A41B6C442AA7C4EB.jpg

Attachments

• 48EC41C591ED43A5A41B6C442AA7C4EB.jpg
    48EC41C591ED43A5A41B6C442AA7C4EB.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online