Orange Crush

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
Orange Crush experts, Illinois Glass Co. experts, big-bottle experts, others in the know: what is known about the 5-gallon Orange Crush bottle that appeared this past week on ebay? It is has a cork closure spout, and is stamped on the base with the I-in-Diamond of the Illinois Glass Co., located near the periphery of the base (unusual location?), and with a numeral "1", opposite the diamond. The glass has a blue tint, as do many of the older carboys. The image is of Crushy, doing his (?her) squeeze-the-orange-reaching-over-my-head-how-weird-is-that exaggerated action, with a cascade of juice resulting, though the squeeze has barely begun, looking like Niagara Falls -- maybe more like Victoria Falls. Anyway, I am wondering whether this bottle would have contained water, to use to dilute a concentrate, or the drink itself, or perhaps a concentrate, shipped in 5 gallon quantity to fountains? Where used? -- would the bottle have been in soda fountains, or was it for home use, or perhaps a water bottle in Orange Crush plants/factories [-- similar to Latchford's late 1920s General Petroleum Corporation bottle, which was, I'm sure, not used for petroleum, but for water in the company's offices or on their ships.] The bottle's image orientation certainly suggests that the bottle would have been inverted, on some sort of dispensing receptacle / cooler-type device. Does anyone in the group have images from back in the day (1920s) that show this large OC bottle? Or perhaps a crate? Or similar bottles on a truck? Is the peripheral location of the I-in-Diamond unusual?
1697512380949.png
1697512443921.png
1697512485512.png
1697512532528.png

1697512581500.png
1697512621278.png
1697512665942.png
1697512704224.png

1697513003586.png
1697513042387.png

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
Very Cool! I'm thinking it was probably used to hold the syrup for a soda fountain, here's a similar one that was on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/782358442/1925-orange-crush-syrup-dispenser-jug
Sitcoms,
Very similar, but 3 gallons, not 5 -- if the ebay listing was correct. I have seen old soda fountain counter top dispensers but I believe that most of them were designed to hold just 1-gallon bottles of the syrup. I'm hoping to find an image of one with a three-gallon bottle, such as the one on etsy, or a five gallon bottle. I am partway through a newspaper.com review, 1925-1935, but so far no images, nor references to a 5-gallon bottle, either for syrup or for water, in connection with Orange Crush. There are advertisements that combine OC syrup with Conway Springs water, available in 5-gallon bottles, but they do not mention 5-gallon syrup volumes / OC-labeled water bottles.

Last edited:

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
Sitcoms: I must correct the original post and my earlier reply to you. The ebay seller, not familiar with larger bottles, mistook the size, thinking it was 5 gallon -- but it is really three gallon, which actually makes more sense. There was, as you noted above, that three gallon OC bottle sold on Etsy, simpler design. I would like to find an image of one of these three gallon bottles, ?sitting on a counter-top dispenser?

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Sitcoms: I must correct the original post and my earlier reply to you. The ebay seller, not familiar with larger bottles, mistook the size, thinking it was 5 gallon -- but it is really three gallon, which actually makes more sense. There was, as you noted above, that three gallon OC bottle sold on Etsy, simpler design. I would like to find an image of one of these three gallon bottles, ?sitting on a counter-top dispenser?
It happens - can't always rely on what a seller posts. I also had been searching to try and find an image of one of these sitting on a candy counter, but to no avail yet.

ICEMANGMC1947

Reaction score
Did you buy this bottle? I was bidding on it but went over my max bid. i thought it was very unusual and wanted to add it to my orange crush collection. i have never seen another one...yet. Seems like after I see or buy my first one then they start coming out of the closets and more show up. NICE BOTTLE LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO SELL IT.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen