Pepsi-cola / deco / basket-weave / soda bottle design pattern

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record - cropped/inverted - from the December 23, 1942 ad ...

Pepsi Cola Fountain Syrup Bottle Ad Palm Beach Post Dec 23, 1942.jpg

jblaylock

Reaction score
So the earliest Fountain Syrup I have is 1942. The earliest logo acl I have is 1945.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I just found and purchased a copy of Stephanie Capparell's Pepsi Challenge book for $3.99 + .99 shipping = $4.98. Its not in the greatest shape but will do for research purposes. I'm due for a new book to add to my collection anyway, especially if its a cheap one! New copies sell for about $30.00

jblaylock

Reaction score
I've been searching the records of registered trademarks, but haven't found anything. I was hoping to see Mr. Carr's name attached to one, but not yet.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

jblaylock

Reaction score
I emailed Bob Stoddard, who literally wrote the book on Pepsi History.

He said, "According to Walter Mack's book No Time Lost, Pepsi hired Tiffany to design a new bottle. Carr worked for Tiffany."

Bob also pointed out that at some point that Patent should have been assigned to Pepsi, SPB, did you see that had been done on your research?
To answer my question about Pepsi owning the patent, hers the text to go along with the image.

"Des. 120,277 U April 30, 1940. J. 5. STEELMAN BOTTLE OR SIMILAR ARTICLE Filed Feb. 6, 1940 Patented Apr. 30, 1940 UNITED STATES Des. 120,277

PATENT OFFICE DESIGN FOR A BOTTLE OR SIMILAR ARTICLE James S. Steelman, Millville, N. J., assignor to Pepsi-Cola Company, Long Island City, N. Y., a corporation of Delaware Application February 6, 1940, Serial No. 90,066

Term of patent 14 years To all whom it may concern:

Be it known that I, James S. Steelman, a citizen of the United States, residing in Millville, in the county of Cumberland and State of New Jersey, have invented a new, original, and ornamental Design for a Bottle or Similar Article, of which the following is a specification, reference being had to the accompanying drawing, forming a part thereof.

The figure is a front elevational view of a bottle or similar article showing my new design; the opposite side thereof is substantially the same as the front elevational view shown in the drawmg.

I claim:

The ornamental design for a bottle or similar article, substantially as shown and described."

I think this 100% confirms he created the bottle. It still begs the question, why were 2 other men given credit?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Josh

Because of this part of the patent text where it says ...

assignor to Pepsi-Cola Company

... I believe it was automatically assigned to the Pepsi Cola Company. At least that's the way I always interpreted that type of statement on patents.

jblaylock

Reaction score
Josh

Because of this part of the patent text where it says ...

assignor to Pepsi-Cola Company

... I believe it was automatically assigned to the Pepsi Cola Company. At least that's the way I always interpreted that type of statement on patents.
I agree, Steelman was the creator, Pepsi owns the patent

Is it possible that Carr designed the bottle and Steelman creates the mold for production? But, if this is the case, why wouldn't Carr be on the patent. There is something missing.

jblaylock

Reaction score
That last statement is silly. Carr was obviously capable of drawing and submitting the patent.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Josh

I suggest trying to find out exactly what Stephanie Capparell meant in her book about James Gordon Carr and "a new bottle with a baked-in label"

As for the meaning of patent 'Assignor / Assignments' I found this ...

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/s301.html

Assignment means a transfer by a party of all or part of its right, title and interest in a patent, patent application, registered mark or a mark for which an application to register has been filed.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles