Pepsi-cola / deco / basket-weave / soda bottle design pattern

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
In other words ...

I think we might be talking about two different bottles ...

1. The 1940 paper label bottle = Steelman

2. The 1941-42 acl bottle = Carr

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is the text associated with the Cooler ...

Patented Aug. 20, 1940 D 122,079

UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE DESIGN FOR A COOLER CABINET James Gordon Carr, New York, N. Y., assignor to Pepsi Cola Company, Long Island City, N. Y., a. Corporation of Delaware Application April 26, 1940, Serial No 91,976

Notice in Carr's cooler patent text that he was also an 'assignor' to the Pepsi Cola Company! Which leads me to believe he also worked for Pepsi Cola in some aspect and not for Tiffany!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I emailed Bob Stoddard, who literally wrote the book on Pepsi History.

He said, "According to Walter Mack's book No Time Lost, Pepsi hired Tiffany to design a new bottle. Carr worked for Tiffany."

Its possible that Carr worked for Tiffany involving certain designs, but worked for Pepsi Cola involving other designs such as the bottle.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I just bought a copy of this book on Amazon for $12.94 total ...

Walter Mack with Peter Buckley, No Time Lost: The Autobiography of Walter Mack (New York: Atheneum, 1982)

We'll soon see exactly what ol' Mack had to say about Carr and the bottle!

Walter Mack Book No Time Lost 1982.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I didn't do too bad today!

I got two new books for my collection and only had to pay a total of $17.92 for both! :flag:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Donald McLaughlin

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/arts/design/02mclaughlin.html

After returning to New York, he collaborated with the industrial designers Walter Dorwin Teague and Raymond Loewy on exhibits for the 1939 World’s Fair and, in association with the architect James Gordon Carr, designed a new Pepsi-Cola bottle and the interiors of Tiffany & Company’s new flagship store on Fifth Avenue.

jblaylock

Reaction score
In other words ...

I think we might be talking about two different bottles ...

1. The 1940 paper label bottle = Steelman

2. The 1941-42 acl bottle = Carr

This was my original thought. It makes since because Donald Mclaughlin was a graphic designer. What doesn't make since to me is that Steelman isn't given credit anywhere in Pepsi's history, though he created the bottle. Why does Carr get so much credit if he just designed the label.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The key words in all of this appear to be "Design / Designed"

Compare the wording of the following ...

Donald McLaughlin ...

Obituary / New York Times / 2009

Http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/arts/design/02mclaughlin.html

In association with the architect James Gordon Carr, designed a new Pepsi-Cola bottle and the interiors of Tiffany & Company’s new flagship store on Fifth Avenue.

Obituary / Private / 2009

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42680455

He collaborated with James Gordon Carr on a Pepsi-Cola bottle design and contributed to the new flagship store of Tiffany & Company in New York City.

(I'll be back shortly with more)

jblaylock

Reaction score
de·sign
dəˈzīn/
noun

a plan or drawing produced to show the look and function or workings of a building, garment, or other object before it is built or made.

purpose, planning, or intention that exists or is thought to exist behind an action, fact, or material object
verb

decide upon the look and functioning of (a building, garment, or other object), typically by making a detailed drawing of it.

The Patent also states that Mr. Steelman designed a new bottle

Side Note: I searched for Glass Packer 1940 and found 2 PDF versions, but the websites look shady and are saying you have to signup for something...

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Correcto mundo on the definition ...

And here we have the wording from James Steelman's 1940 Pepsi Cola bottle patent ...

Be it known that I, James S. Steelman, a citizen of the United States, residing in Millville, in the county of Cumberland and State of New Jersey, have invented a new, original, and ornamental Design for a Bottle or Similar Article,

Which takes us back to the original, puzzling question ...

James Steelman invented/designed at least 23 different bottles ...

1934 = 13 bottle designs
1935 = 6 bottle designs
1936 = 1 bottle design
1937 = 1 bottle design
1940 = 2 bottle designs (Pepsi & Nicola)
1949 = 1 bottle design

So why would a bottle designer such as James Steelman, who had a track record of designing bottles starting as early as 1934, need anyone's assistance or collaboration to help design and/or invent a bottle?

Answer: In my opinion, he wouldn't have required any assistance. But apparently someone thought he did. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the names James Gordon Carr and Donald McLaughlin in connection with the 1940 Pepsi Cola 'wave' bottle.

Speaking of which, I cannot find a single reference where the names James Steelman, James Gordon Carr, and Donald McLaughlin are mentioned on the same page or even in the same article except for our discussion here!

Something is missing!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles