Soda bottles in bad shape...but can I get some help with identifying them??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
woodswalker ~

I actually intended to post my last image in your "Unexpected Discoveries," thread, but I got this one and the other mixed up. Sorry about that. I guess the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Anyway, since the damage has already been done, I guess I will add this here as well. I did a search on the V V-X Victor model number and discovered it was originally a table-top, and then converted to a cabinet design. (see photo below of cabinet version). Plus, there was the following info associated with it. I also learned that the dog's name was "Nipper."

SPB

In 1911, with an eye on the average family's budget, Victor introduced several new low-priced models, the VV-IV, VV-VI, VV-VIII and VV-IX, with prices ranging from a remarkable $15.00 up to $50.00. Shortly thereafter, the VV-X and VV-XI were converted from tabletop models to low priced floor models.

04F46E356B464DE6A65F14FFF257FED3.jpg

Attachments

• 04F46E356B464DE6A65F14FFF257FED3.jpg
    04F46E356B464DE6A65F14FFF257FED3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 47

woodswalker

Reaction score
Thanks SPB...I love learning the history behind this stuff....Its absolutely fascinating[:)]
Also about the little perfume bottle I found...it has the # 2 on the bottom of it.... I may never find much out about that one but so far it is the prettiest oldie I have!!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Two final thoughts ...

1. If nothing else, the plaque will give you an "approximate" date for "some" of the items you have already found, and hopefully will find in the future. Of course, the Victor phonograph could have been in the family for many, many years before it was junked. But if the 1911 date is correct as I believe it is, then we know that that particular item could not have arrived on the scene prior to 1911.

2. Do you happen to know if the perfume bottle is made of crystal or glass? It's cool either way, but especially so if it's crystal. When you go back, check the spot again where you found it. The glass stopper may be laying around there someplace.

That's it for now, and I will look forward to your next "amazing" discovery. But how about some "perfect" soda bottles next time. Lol [:D]

Good luck!

SPB

woodswalker

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info...and I will try for some better bottles!!!
I'll have to look into whether its glass or crystal...any certain way to tell this? Sorry for the silly questions but I am still a newbie at this! [8|]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'll see what I can find on Crystal vs. Glass ... but hopefully someone with expertise will read this and be able to tell both of us. At the moment I don't have a clue except maybe by the weight. I believe lead crystal is super heavy ... ???

SPB

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter