Spring Privy Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Diggin4Togas

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: theroadwarrior10

Here's the thing I do not have permission, it is an old rundown patch of woods. I am so afraid that If I do ask they will say "No, stay off my land". Then I been warned and risk getting into trouble. If I get caught or questioned usually all that can happened in an un-posted piece of land is that you part ways without incident. I will be sick to my stomach in wondering what is in the privy if I am told to hit the road. I think I am going to be as quiet and conservative as possible until I have to make a deal or ask. I am not looking to make money off of the privy, I just need to bring the history to light. Isn't why we do this in the first place? The thrill and wonder of the unknown is so powerful that it makes us dig in petrified human poop dirt.
Well now it's understandable why you want to wait, so now I agree you should wait for the natural camo of spring.
Randy

elmoleaf

Reaction score

Here's the thing I do not have permission, it is an old rundown patch of woods. I am so afraid that If I do ask they will say "No, stay off my land". Then I been warned and risk getting into trouble. If I get caught or questioned usually all that can happened in an un-posted piece of land is that you part ways without incident. I will be sick to my stomach in wondering what is in the privy if I am told to hit the road. I think I am going to be as quiet and conservative as possible until I have to make a deal or ask. I am not looking to make money off of the privy, I just need to bring the history to light. Isn't why we do this in the first place? The thrill and wonder of the unknown is so powerful that it makes us dig in petrified human poop dirt.
Seriously? You ever own anything before? Ever have someone take it without asking? Ever own property and have strangers come in and feel it's perfectly acceptable to take what they want from your land without asking? I have no kind words for anyone who'd do that to someone.
It doesn't matter how "rundown" it looks, whether it's posted, your motivations or any other rationalization.
Without permission, you're just a thief.

rvcdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: elmoleaf

Seriously? You ever own anything before? Ever have someone take it without asking? Ever own property and have strangers come in and feel it's perfectly acceptable to take what they want from your land without asking? I have no kind words for anyone who'd do that to someone.
It doesn't matter how "rundown" it looks, whether it's posted, your motivations or any other rationalization.
Without permission, you're just a thief.

If you stumbled upon a construction site...bulldozer is about to run over a pile of pontiled sodas, do you stop to save them and then give them to the owner? That pit in the woods the guy is digging will be wiped out by a Walmart one day.

theroadwarrior10

Reaction score
Call me whatever you would like, but let me say this again. I am digging through former human crap to obtain bottles that may or may not be there. These bottles are going to be 4-15 feet in the ground. I am not going inside of an old house or structure, It is really no different from collecting acorns or picking berries on the property.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[8D] I dunno about bein wiped out by a walmart someday, but I seriously doubt that the owners of the property care a crap about what may be buried inna old outhouse or dump pit. THE most important part about this dig is that you put the junk back inna hole when done and bury it again so there is no mess left...........

theroadwarrior10

Reaction score
Absolutely, I am going to leave it in better condition than how I found it. I would love to talk to the owner and share it with them if I knew that they were going to be interested. We could have a neat article in newspaper and spread the message about treasure hunting and preservation.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

Call me whatever you would like, but let me say this again. I am digging through former human crap to obtain bottles that may or may not be there. These bottles are going to be 4-15 feet in the ground. I am not going inside of an old house or structure, It is really no different from collecting acorns or picking berries on the property.

What Elmo is saying is you are trespassing. I have walked around on construction lots with out permission before, but going on someones private land is another story. To dig privy's in peoples yards you have to have 100% permission from the land/ home owner. Just the way it is. I hate to dig looking over my shoulder.
Who owns the property??

When you post here about that kind of thing you will hear from both ends. Just my thoughts

PS you would still have to ask permission to pick berry's its not your land.[;)]

theroadwarrior10

Reaction score
I understand. I live in rural Pennsylvania and we are more open about hunting, walking, hiking, ect on land. I may even ask the owner. I have not decided yet.

rvcdigger

Reaction score
Being on a construction site without permission is trespassing. Why is that not the same?

It's just a hole. I'm sure he is going to fill it in right. I'm sure he doesn't want any kids to fall down the hole.

But please do explain why construction sites without permission is not trespassing? Please do. If you give me 8 reasons in under 30 seconds we can call it a red light challenge. Just like on that show with the guy in the cab. [;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles