Strange Warners Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

photolitherland

Reaction score
337498533_o.jpg

I saw this bottle today and Ive never seen a Warners without the blob like top on it. Is this a repro because Ive also never seen the oz label on the front either.

botlguy

Reaction score
I am quite sure it is legit, (I've never seen a repro of this type) it is called a Medicine Top. They are newer than the Double Collar and Blob Collar. They also come in Clear / colorless.

LC

Reaction score
Had one of those years ago , sold it like an idiot , wish I had kept it now . I am pretty sure it is not a reproduction , could be on the rare side a bit , or one that is darned hard to find . I have only seen three or four of them over the years .

JustGlass

Reaction score
I also owned one like that but sold it. Its a newer style warners remedy. I do think they are fairly common and bring about the same price as a the older remedy bottle.

LC

Reaction score
They could be common I suppose , but in my area I have only seen a few of them . Then to , I have only been to one bottle show , and that was years ago . I guess you miss seeing a lot without attending them .

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Completely legit. Late teens or 1920s bottle.

There was some legislation in the US in, I think, 1914 (after the 1906 Bill, anyway) that obliged medicine bottles to show capacity. The colorless ones are probably more common than amber: we get both types over here in the UK from time to time. Nicest of these late ones I've seen was a mid-teal, with original label.

beendiggin

Reaction score
I've dug both the aqua and the amber "remedies" together under an old barn with other toc stuff. The amber was tooled and the aqua was early machine made.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Chris,

I like it. Check this out:

"I have intended to do a post concerning these bottles for some time, but a recent comment reminded me that I had neglected to do so. I have previously written about the Warner’s Safe Remedies Co. bottles and have vented that some online sellers have referred to them as “rare.†In my opinion, only under very limited circumstances would a Safe Remedies Co. bottle be considered “rare.â€

The first is if you have one of these bottles with full label and contents and it is one of the rare varieties such as the “Acute Rheumatic Compound †or “Sedative,†then the appellation “rare†is appropriate. Examples with full labels or contents for “Compound: A Diuretic†would be desirable, but not rare.

The second is if you have the so-called “No Safe†Safe Remedies Co. bottle in either the 12 1/2 oz. or 6 oz. sizes. I would say that the 6 oz. is particularly rare. It is generally agreed that these bottles were mold errors and that the bottle manufacturer simply left the word “Safe†out of the mold so that they read “Warner’s Remedies Co.†I have seen only 4 examples or the 12 1/2 oz. and only 1 of the 6 oz. All of the examples I have seen are amber rather than the clear or aqua, which are the two other colors in which Warner’s Safe Remedies Co. bottles appear. This would seem to confirm the mold error theory, suggesting that the error was promptly corrected and leaving only a precious few of the error bottles available to collectors. The above photographs, moving from top to bottom, show two labelled Safe Remedies Co. bottles with labels for Rheumatic Remedy and Acute Rheumatic Compund; the “No Safe†Safe Remedies Co. bottles in the 12 1/2 and 6 oz sizes and the same two bottles with their labels for Safe Compund: A Diuretic. The bottles are from my personal collection.

In the event you have one of the amber Safe Remedies Co. bottles in your collection, do yourself a favor and look closely at the embossing. If the word “Safe†is missing, the value of your bottle may have increased substantially." From Warner's Safe Blog.

He's got a blog on "Faux Warner's"
fauxwarnerscobalt2.jpg
fauxwarnersamber4.jpg

fauxwarnersmulti.jpg

fauxwarnersamber3.jpg

"Charles Caleb Colton (1780-1832) is given the credit for coining the phrase “imitation is the sincerest of flattery.†Whether that is true or not remains to be seen; however, thanks to Crownford China, the name of Warner’s Safe Kidney & LIver Cure was given somewhat of a rebirth in the late 1960′s or early 1970′s, when that manufacturer issued a reproducation bottle in a variety of colors. Some of these reproductions also included a label that bore no resemblence to the original Warner’s Safe Cure Label. The Warner’s Reference Guide designates them as WRG #R1 and WRG #R2.

To Crownford’s credit, although they got the label wrong, they did a respectable job on the reproduction of the bottle. The bottles have roughly the same dimensions as the original pint Kidney & Cure. I have not seen them in any size other than a pint nor have I seen them for any of Warner’s other cures, such as Nervine, Diabetes or Rheumatic Cure. There was also another reproduction issued in the 1980′s, which did not include a label. The first reproduction appeared in aqua green and amber and appeared with a blob lip, while the later version appeared in cobalt blue and yellow with a double collar. The double collar lip on the later reproduction is hollow unlike the original double collar. The cobalt blue is particularly striking and I am sure that some collectors thought they had stumbled onto a one-of-a-kind cobalt Warner’s Safe Cure, unitl they realized it was a reproduction.

Some Warner’s collectors have added these reproductions to their collections and ironically, in recent years, several of the reproductions have well surpassed the price of the original Kidney & Liver Cure. The cobalt reproduction has fetched a price as high as $150. Go figure. If you look at the base of the early reproduced bottle, most have the name “Crownford China†embossed there. It is unclear why these reproductions were made, except that they provided a nostalgic nic nac and perhaps as a nod to one of the great patent medicine kings.

Thanks to Ed Ojea for several of the photographs included with this post and Jack Stecher for his insights." From.

jayne21.jpg

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL