Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Since he was more a Florist at that time I think it's gotta mention Florist. Maybe it sez "Confection & Florist" with the & a backwards 3 ?

Leon

A lot depends on when the photograph was taken. I posted some information earlier that indicated James Vernor installed plate glass windows at his 235 Woodward Avenue location in 1877. The photo we're working with does not show full, plate glass windows, but segmented windows.

Keith might have more information and dates, but the earliest reference I can find that in any way connects James Vernor with the words "Florist" "Floral" "Flowers" is 1879

Here's the photo we're currently working with - Notice the segmented pane glass windows ...

Vernor Drug Store Sign circa 1870 (4).jpg

And here's the photo that shows the plate glass windows

Vernor  235 Woodward Glass Front circa 1877.jpg

Look close and you'll see a sign inside that might say "La Roses" or "La Rosca"

(Which might be a brand of cigar)

Or, the sign might say something else entirely, and what appears to be an 'R' might be a 'P' or possibly some other letter. ???

Vernor Drug Store Print eBay 2016.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
In other words ...

1. If James Vernor installed new windows in 1877, then the first photo dates earlier than 1877

2. If James Vernor installed new windows in 1877, then the second photo dates 1877 or later

3. If James Vernor didn't get into the floral trade until about 1879, and the first photo dates earlier than 1877, then the first photo would likely not have any reference to flowers on the building.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

219 Woodward Avenue changed to 235 Woodward Avenue in 1869-1870

Which means the photo we're working with has to date during 1869-70 or later. But 1869-70 at the earliest. I don't recall ever seeing a photograph that shows 219 Woodward Avenue - But maybe Keith has one?

Vernor Drug Store Sign circa 1870 (9).jpg

Footnote:

James Vernor and Charles L'Hommedieu dissolved their partnership in 1868

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
A few of the ads I saw said ...

For Every Ailment and Disease

'
I noticed what looked like a y also which is why I disagreed with the Experianced you mention. with the Every Ailment & Disease it fits better with my idea of a & sign where they used the backwards 3, LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I read somewhere that, that picture was taken in 1876 but don't know how accurate it is? LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I got to thinking about James Vernor's competition and discovered during the mid 1870s there was one drug store in particular that seemed to advertise more than anyone else. And not with just small, two-line ads, but ads like the one shown here that appeared quite often during that time period. James Vernor did very little advertising. Most of what's found pertaining to him (about 90%) has to do with his involvement with the city council. In fact, there are so many articles about him as an Alderman, its surprising he had time to operate a drug store.

Anyway, here's one of Frank Inglis' typical ads, this one being from 1876. Maybe some of the wording is similar to the parts we're not sure about on James Vernor's building.

Prescriptions Carefully Prepared 1876.jpg

Notice on this Detroit map that Vernor's drug store and Inglis' drug store were only a few blocks apart ...

Detroit Map (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Frederick Stearns was another major advertiser. But many of his ads are like the one shown here that seem to focus on the variety of different goods he sold and not on prescription drugs.

Notice the "Mortar & Pestle" illustration

Stearns Drug DFP March 16, 1879.jpg

Even this three-liner is more about goods than prescriptions. Notice "Reasonable Prices"

Stearns Drug DFP Aug 29, 1875.jpg

Reminder: Frederick Stearns was originally part of Higby & Stearns where James Vernor worked prior to and just after the Civil War.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Keith

Do you have one of these business/advertising cards? Date unknown but has 235 Woodward Avenue ...

Vernor Florist Card.jpg

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Keith

Do you have one of these business/advertising cards? Date unknown but has 235 Woodward Avenue ...

View attachment 175398

No, I don't have that particular card. I have some other designs, but not that one. Maybe it's just another assumption, but I have always assumed he dropped the florist business and druggist business (and cigar business) when he moved to 33 Woodward.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
The problem with so many of the photographs we're looking at is that they have been reproduced multiple times and each time lose some of their sharpness.

The next photograph challenge is attached. It's still the James Vernor Drug Store.

However, this time it's the writing under the windows. In the early drug store photo (with smaller panes of glass) there is writing printed under each window. I'm pretty sure in a better example of this photo (attached - but let me clarify - this is NOT a better example of the photo) the green arrow would be pointing to "patent medicines". The question is what does it say by the red arrow? I'm hoping for "soda fountain", of course! "Vernor's Ginger Ale" would be even better!

It's possible I'll find a better quality example of this photo when I go to the Detroit library tomorrow.

Attachments

• Vernor's Drug Store.jpg
    Vernor's Drug Store.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 98

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26