Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Sorry guys,my worked picked up a lot so I have not been able to spend much time on this myself. But keep up the good work.

And thanx for keeping the Vernors torch burning!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Has any body ever read this Article? It's Interesting. LEON. VernorsSideline.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score

SODABOB

Reaction score
Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

If you look at the picture on eBay using the super-zoom, notice ...

1. What appears to be sheets of newspaper on the edge of the sidewalk.

2. What appears to be a pile of gravel/asphalt in front of the wagon.

I wonder if the newspapers on the edge of the sidewalk were to protect it from oil and they were in the process of surfacing the street? If it was the first time the street got paved and we can determine when that occurred, then we might be able to date the photograph within a month or so.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Leon

I posted a link to that article several weeks ago. I realize not everyone has time to open and read all the links I post, but that particular article appeared in a journal called ...

The Bulletin of Pharmacy ~ 1919

Here's the link again ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=I...AEIQzAD#v=onepage&q=Vernor Ginger Ale&f=false

Have you seen this?

View attachment 175421View attachment 175422

Sorry. Either I missed that link or forgot I seen it? I do look at most of the links, But, sometimes I say I'll come back to it later to read & forget to.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Check this out!

Detroit Free Press ~ ​May 29, 1874

"Paving Clifford Street"

Clifford Street Paving Detroit Free Press May 29, 1874.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

There are lots of articles about paving Clifford Street, but some of it is kind of confusing. It looks like the work was completed in the fall of 1874. I'm not sure if they used stone, but based on what I've seen so far, it appears they did. I'll report back later after I find something more specific.

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

The confusing part is that Vernor's Drug Store was on the corner of Woodard Avenue and Clifford Street. I'm pretty sure the long section of street we see is actually Woodward Avenue, with Clifford Street being out of view behind the wagon. So I guess what I need to do is try and determine when they surfaced that part of Woodward. And its possible they did both at the same time. ???

hemihampton

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

The confusing part is that Vernor's Drug Store was on the corner of Woodard Avenue and Clifford Street. I'm pretty sure the long section of street we see is actually Woodward Avenue, with Clifford Street being out of view behind the wagon. So I guess what I need to do is try and determine when they surfaced that part of Woodward. And its possible they did both at the same time. ???

Yes, Your right about that. Woodward is a big main street while Clifford is more like a little side street. LEON.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR