Aussie Bottle collection stolen, 19 Nov 2004

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

oz-riley

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Have some very sad news, a very well know bottle collector in Melbourne Australia has had the best bottles in his collection stolen. Thieves broke into his house while he and his wife were asleep.

I am seeking the help of Aussie collectors. If you are offered or see any bottles from the following companies for sale or hear of someone claiming to have dug any of these rare bottles, please contact myself oz-riley (Chris Thornton) or IRISH (one of the moderators of this site) or your local police.

Also seeking the help from collectors not in Australia, if any of these bottles show up at a local bottle show in the UK, USA etc, please let us know.

Bottles from:

The Moonee Valley Cordial Company, North Fitzroy.
Including a Dark Green Glass Codd, Aqua 26 oz Codds etc most have the Horse and Rider trade Mark.

Wilcox Bros, Frankston, Lilydale & Dandenong.
A 26 oz Aqua Codd (the only one known) with the Ferntree Trade Mark and other Monogrammed Codds.

Langley, Turner Patent.

Weeks & White Codd bottle with a Bulls Head Trade Mark.

And a few other assorted aerated waters.

All bottles stolen where very rare and extremely valuable.

The thief or thieves new exactly what bottles to take and took mostly rare and valuable bottles, which we believe shows they have had experience in collecting bottles from Melbourne.

I will try and get a full list of stolen bottles as soon as possible.

Please help us out, the owner of these bottles is devastated as this was a lifetime collection.

If the person/s who took these bottles is reading this, please pack bottles well in a box and return them either by post or courier anonymously and the owner will not take it any further.
These bottles are so unique you will never be able to sell them in Australia.

Thanks Guys
Chris Thornton

IRISH

Reaction score
Correction here, the dark green one was not taken.

Attachments

• Pn37109.jpg
    Pn37109.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 284

IRISH

Reaction score
This is the 26 ounce Moonee valley Horonda Codd, it's a light apple green and the trade mark is the horse and rider in a small circle.

I or Chris will post more photo's of the rest of the items as we get them along with a detailed list of what to look out for.

Ki19380.jpg

Attachments

• Ki19380.jpg
    Ki19380.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 272

Carmo

Reaction score
Hi All
I am totally shocked to hear this, what is happening to the hobby? As Chris points out these bottles are so rare they could not be sold anywhere. It appears the thief may well have been to the collectors house as a guest, then comes back and knocks off his bottles, what a low life!! I hope he is caught soon and the full force of the law thrown at him.
carmo

Gidday

Reaction score
OZ, perhaps post a better close-up image of the logo. Unmistakable pieces in particular to melbournites but not necessarily others. I have the Moonee Valley ginger beer and can post if that helps.

IRISH

Reaction score
Gidday, a close up photo of the trade mark would be good, maybe not the whole bottle so as to avoid confusion as to what was taken. The photo's here are one's I took a week before the theft but none of them are clear on the trade mark in close up.
I could take a closeup photo of one of my moonee valley Codd's trade marks if it would help anyone.

List of what was taken (incomplete ?, when the collector looks at this post I will edit with any corrections)
ROWLANDS blob top DUMP SODA, CLEAR, FARMER AND MINER trade mark.
26OZS Codd APPERTISER, MOONEE VALLEY, photo above.
26OZS, Codd HORONDA, MOONEE VALLEY
260ZS Codd HORONDA, YOXALL
13OZS MOONEE VALLEY OLIVE GREEN
7OZS MOONEE VALLEY, OLIVE GREEN
13 OZS HORONDA BREWERY, BLUE GLASS
26OZS WILCOX MARBLE BOTTLE, TREEFERN T/M
13OZS WEEKS AND WHITE Codd, bull trade mark.
130ZS WILCOX MARBLE, NIAGRA PATENT Codd, treefern trade mark.
13OZS CRANFIELDS Codd, moses striking a rock trade mark.
13OZS Grey, CIRCULAR HEAD (tasmainia) codd.
13OZS HILLIER/ CO, RICHMOND Codd.

JUST THOUGHT WE WOULD LET YOU KNOW SO, YOU COULD PASS IT AROUND AND LOOK OUT FOR THEM

(half case text is what I added for clarity).

Gidday

Reaction score
No problem, here you go Irish

Rp43340.jpg

Attachments

• Rp43340.jpg
    Rp43340.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 265

kumtow

Reaction score
I heard a story some time ago about a group of bikers that shared a house. One of them went home about 10 in the morning to pick up something he needed at work. As he turned the corner into his street he observed 3 men lifting one of his bikes into a truck. Another bike (his mates) was already in the truck. He called his biker mates on his mobile and they caught the thieves redhanded. In the scuffle the thieves managed to get all their fingers broken. What a shame. Cops were called, thieves carted away, nothing heard about busted fingers.
Sound appropriate to me if these bottle thieving lowlives ever get caught.[:mad:]

Seems extreme I know. But hell..........I'm an unrefined peasant.

IRISH

Reaction score
Hmm,
who's to say what will happen to them if they get caught by bottleo's before the police get them [;)] , the results in that case won't be posted on the forum I'll put it that way [:D] (not that I'd know any details about it anyway but I'm sure the rumor mill would work overtime [;)] ).

IRISH

Reaction score
Ok I had a chat with the owner of the stolen items and the list above is complete and correct, if anyone want's more info on any of the items that where stolen just ask here or by email.
The dark green 13 ounce Codd I posted a photo of was not taken.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger