Historical Dig in San Francisco

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

adshepard

Reaction score
Very nice and interesting site

Thanks!

Alan

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I was actually diggin' there at the time and very well remember the Niantic, as well as other "Downtown Digs". We travelled to Oyster Point, Candlestick Point, Sierra POoint and other sites where construction fill was dumped. Whooee, there were a lot of great bottles uncovered!

Wilkie

Reaction score
man oh man, that's the stuff dreams are made of. I've heard about digs like these where diggers from all around would swoop in and "everyone" would leave happy. I can only hope that something like that will come along again and I can join in on the fun.

tigue710

Reaction score
yeah, I woulda loved to have been in on that one!

If anyone knows, was the Niantic the ship that a New London flask was found on? I know that a new London did turn up out there on one of the digs and the Niantic sailed from New London. In fact the Niantic were a coastal indiginous people from the area between The connecticut river and Kingston RI. New London was founded after a war with the Nihantic. It is one of the few towns in New England from the colonial era that was not bought or given to the whites, and was actually won in battle... Still do not know what to think about that, is it better to have aquired the land through war or thivery?

tigue710

Reaction score
Id rather die at home defending it I think... loosing the land in a battle is far better then it being stolen, at least on the part of the settlers. There is some honer in the land having been fought over.

The battle for the town is known as the massacre of the Nehantic by some historians, and it is said that New London carries a curse because of it....

Not all towns and cites in American were ill gained, the city of Norwich, north of new London was granted to a few settlers by the chief of the Mohegan, Uncas. The settlers had helped Uncas in his fight against the Pequot and saved his life. In return he gifted the entire area that is now the city to them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776