info about old bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Billofthenorth

Reaction score
I recently came across some old bottles in what I believe to be a dump for a 150 year old school. These probably are not that old, they were poking through the soil, but I was wondering where I might find information about them.
They are all rather small only big enough to hold an ounce or so. I think they may be medicinal bottles.
One is a brown JR Watkins, another says 3 Drene on the bottom and is wider at the top and bottom than the waist. A third is broken (no bottom) but has what looks to be a dog sitting up with graduated markings on the other side.

Any help is appreciated.
TIA

coboltmoon

Reaction score
If the bottle has a cork top look at the seam. If the seam disappears on the neck just before the lips the bottles are about 100 years old or older. If the seam goes to the lip or over, or they are screw tops there about 1910 or newer.

BIM: side seams run from base and end below the top of lip, which is the result of Blowing In Mold (BIM). (Estimated time frame pre 1905)

ABM: if the side seams run thru the top of the lip, then the bottle is ABM (made by an Automatic Bottle Machine). The first ABM bottles started appearing in 1903, and by 1915 most bottles were being made by this method. (Estimated time frame after 1905)

Billofthenorth

Reaction score
The watkins and the drene have screw tops. The watkins seam goes to the top, the drene stops at the neck and then goes around. The sitting dog has a cork top and the seem stops at the neck. If it was hand blown it's very even and well done.

I forgot to mention two tiny glass ampules, cork tops, no markings. The seam stops at the neck.

LC

Reaction score
The bottle with the dog standing up with graduations to the other side sounds like it may be a baby bottle . I have seen them designed in that fashion . If I am correct , that bottle will date 1900s .

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen