Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Master SODAPOPBOB's Avatar
    I just heard from the New Mexico bottle club who had this to say about my "Pippo" bottle ...

"I emailed several of the NM soda collectors who knew of Pippo ACL bottles but didn't have information on them. One had 3. There must be a void on this soda. Would you post your pics to share."

(I sent the requested pictures)

Senior Member Bottle Finder Dr Pepper bottle man's Avatar

Lazenby's Liquid Sunshine

The Lazenby's Liquid Sunshine bottles and glasses were introduced in 1937.
    The original artwork is dated 1937 also and has the outline of the state of Texas on it, and a star for Dallas where it was based.
    Although I have a newspaper ad showing the date 0f 1934 from Florida.
    The wooden crate has 25 slots for bottles, a super rare crate
    See Pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails liquid[1].jpg   3.lazenbys.jpg   liquid3.jpg   LazenbysLiquidSunshine.jpg   Liquid Sunshine.jpg  

Last edited by Dr Pepper bottle man; 02-19-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Senior Member Bottle Finder Dr Pepper bottle man's Avatar
    I have a "Emobossed" raised letter Dr Pepper bottle from Corsicanna, Texas with the same top, and was told you opened the bottle with a dime.
    See pics

Quote Originally Posted by SODAPOPBOB View Post
    Nickevlau ~

Thank you for the contribution. There are so many aspects to all of this that it seems endless. And the closure you posted certainly fits into the scheme of things. Hopefully the information below will shed a little more light on the subject and will benifit everyone concerned.

Thanks again,

SPB

"PRIOF" Closure/Finish
    The "PRIOF" closure is actually a finish variation for the crown cap intended to make it easier to remove the cap in that it could be "pried off" with a non-standard opener without breaking the bottle. Paul & Parmalee (1973) describe this finish and origin quite well and are quoted below:

[blockquote][align=left]One of the last minor changes or variations of the crown closure was the development of the "Priof" method of bottle finish by the Illinois Glass Company. The crown bottle, appearing in the early 1920s, had a projecting ledge below the lip of the crown which assisted the consumer in opening the bottle. By using the ledge as a point of leverage, one could easily pry off the cap by using a knife, key, coin or any flat piece of metal. One needed only to insert the lever between the ledge and the cap and twist. Although this type of bottle finish was used sporadically through the years, it never became popular enough to dominate the market. However, its major advertising feature was that it substantially reduced the number of broken and chipped bottles which resulted from the use of various unconventional openers.[/align][/blockquote]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corsicana Pat Pride Top.jpg   corsicana.jpg   Patentned pride top.jpg  

That pippo is really cool. Nice find

Senior Member Bottle Master SODABOB's Avatar
    UPDATE ...

1933 ACL

The following Owens-Illinois Glass Company catalog recently came to my attention and claims to be from 1933. Please read the opening statement regarding how they determined the date. I spoke on the phone with Bill Lindsey a couple of years regarding something else and he is one of if not the most proficient bottle researchers I know. If he is confident the catalog is dated 1933, then so am I. However, there are no ACL soda bottles in the catalog, but there are ACL Tumblers/Glasses. This at least tells us the ACL process was being used / experimented with as early as 1933. I consider this significant even though it does not include ACL soda bottles.

File #19 shows lots of soda bottles, including embossed examples and generic examples that would accommodate a paper label.

Files #23 and #24 are where the ACL Tumblers/Glasses are shown.

Note: I plan to research some of the more recognizable tumblers (Mickey Mouse - Donald Duck - 7up) and see if they have an Owens-Illinois mark and can be dated. Here's the link to the catalog ...

https://sha.org/bottle/oi1933.htm

The attached images are from the catalog ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1933 ACL GLASSES (2).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	177499

Name:	OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1933 ACL GLASSES.jpg 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	177500

Name:	Owens Illinois 1933 Beverage Glasses ACLs (2).jpg 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	177501

Name:	Owens Illinois 1933 Beverage Glasses ACLs.jpg 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	177502

I have found a lot of the Mickey Mouse glasses but so far only one of them included anything about who might have made it or when. The attached link is to the one I'm referring to, but the description is a little vague as to where the number 33 is located on the glass.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...y-mickey-mouse

Copy/Pasted description ...

The following information is in the "The Collector's Guide to Cartoon & Promotional Drinking Glasses"
    Mickey looking surprised with black vertical letters number 33

$70.00 each

Last edited by SODABOB; 03-18-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Follow Up ...

I have reason to believe the Owens-Illinois Catalog cannot be dated 1933. Open the link I posted and scroll to File #23 where you will see a Donald Duck ACL tumbler. As it turns out, nobody even heard of Donald Duck in 1933, and it wasn't until June 9, 1934 that he made his debut appearance in the Disney short film "The Wise Little Hen"

Read all about it ...

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wise_Little_Hen

Name:	Donald Duck The Wise Little Hen Released June 9, 1934.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	177528

(To be continued)

Senior Member Bottle Master Canadacan's Avatar
    I'm not sure when 2way came out but the earliest add on a quick search was 1936, oh and the 7up glass pictured..I have that in my collection but believed it to be from the 40's-50's...unless it is older than I assumed?
    Last edited by Canadacan; 03-20-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    Collecting Western Canadian sodas, and USA Orange Crush.

Cc

Thanks for contributing.

Based on various factors, I'm leaning toward the date for the Owens-Illinois catalog as being from 1936

Here's why I say that ...

[ Attachments ]

Mickey Mouse tumbler from Catalog

Name:	OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1933 ACL GLASSES (2).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	177536

Donald Duck tumbler from Catalog

Name:	Donald Duck Tumbler 1933 OI Catalog.jpg 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	177537

This is the earliest advertisement I can find for the tumblers.

Note: The Mickey Mouse tumbler in this ad is identical to the one in the catalog, but the Donald Duck tumbler is different. I can't explain the two different Donald Duck tumblers, other than it might have been changed before it went into production. I have not been able to find a Donald Duck tumbler that is identical to the one pictured in the catalog.

The Altoona Tribune ~ Altoona, Pennsylvania ~ December 21, 1936

Name:	Donald Duck Tumbler Altoona Tribune, Pa Dec 21, 1936.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	177538

However ...

This 1934 Mickey Mouse tumbler could very well be an ACL. I can't imagine any other type of application that wouldn't come off after repeated washing's. I believe its made from white milk-glass but I haven't been able to confirm that yet ...

Zanesville Signal ~ Zanesville, Ohio ~ June 21, 1934

Name:	Mickey Mouse Tumbler Zanesville Signal June 21, 1934 Ohio Full Page (3).jpg 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	177539

Name:	Mickey Mouse Tumbler Zanesville Signal June 21, 1934 Ohio Full Page (2).jpg 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	177540

Name:	Mickey Mouse Tumbler Zanesville Signal June 21, 1934 Ohio.jpg 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	177541