Igloo Ink

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll. Dug this SMFG Co. ink the other day and was wondering if Kovel's price guide of 330.00 was in the ballpark? My other three books don't list this particular ink. I was hoping one of you might have a different book that would either confirm Kovel's or list a different price. Thanks a lot, Kelley

Vt57516.jpg

woody

Reaction score
I checked Digger O'Dell's ink books and didn't find any mention of this igloo,(or turtle), ink bottle.
I don't have access to Covill's ink bottle book so I can't check that one, though he doesn't give value.
I would say it is a VERY good find and should command a high price for it.
I would say Kovel's price is approximately in the ball park.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi Kelley, nice ink! Here is a niftty link... Taz..... Kovels' Online Antiques And Collectibles Price Guide...
http://www.kovels.com/

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys. I don't know much about inks but I haven't seen too many aqua's in that high of a price range so I was curious. Maybe SMFG Co is a little more rare or something. Anyway, thanks again. Thanks for the web site Taz, I bookmarked it. Kelley

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hey Kelley,
Page 182 of Polak's book Antique Trader Bottles Identification and Price Guide-Fourth edition (2002) has a listing that looks like this:

S.M.F.G. Co.
Aqua, 1-7/8", smooth base, ground lip.........$80-$140
American 1875-1890 (rare)

Note*** I recently picked this book up, and I must say that the prices seem a little off, okay they are way off [:D]. Some examples of what I'm claiming can be found on page 150 and on 151.

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Meech' (Flaschenjager) what you have is same the letters I copied to the list, and to my surprise it said Rare, So I was going to post again with same as you rare.
But my listing I noted just the maker rare but do not show what is rare (Lazy when I made notes from but) now at the time just wanted company and date

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Meech. I don't have that book. When you say the prices seem way off, you mean on the low side right? I like Kovels listing better... I just hadn't seen an Aqua quite that high. I'm sure however, rarity plays a big part and you and David both said yall's book stated rare. In any case it's my first Igloo/ Turtle I have ever found and I believe she's a keeper! That pit of a week ago just keeps gettin better! [:D] Kelley

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Kelley-
I think your ink is priced quite low in this book. iI own all the Kovels' books and they can be quite useful when looking to see if a bottle is listed and the ballpark value. The book mentioned above is also good for this, but it seems very "West coast". Without offending anyone affiliated with this book, I'd like to say the prices seem very high. Any collectors reading this would probably agree to the examples below.

Page 150 has a picture of a very common - common bottle that has a monogram JSP. these are typically a teal green and sometimes you're lucky to get $30+ for them. Under the picture it says this:
UPS (monogram), 1885-1890, $200-$300

Page 151 has a picture of a Bunker Hill Pickle bottle. The color is not stated, but most are a shade of amber. It lists this bottle at $150-$200. They have been going, and for years, between $35-$85.

I feel that this can be misleading to new collectors/diggers. This book is in every bookstore and online.
I have both bottles listed above and I'd love to sell them at this book price!!!!!!!! There are many other examples in this book, but I've said too much already.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Whoops !!! Forget what I said about the Bunker Hill Pickle bottle. I just looked again, and the picture next to it, shows the label. This bottle, with a label, could actually sell for that. Sorry for the mix up.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen