"No Trespassing"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mr.fred

Did you take the sign[8|][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]?.
MOI? Why, of course. Not to worry, there are plenty more posted at "sensitive" areas, most of which have long been dug out. Better late than never, I suppose.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
We have those signs on this coast too. The forest service morphed into "Law Enforcement" before land stewardship around here....They write tickets for improper tent placement, atv's etc, while portable drill rigs, and logging trucks pound the forest into adobe dust...We live near the boundary of the only National Forest in Pennsylvania, years ago I worked for them on a summer crew basis, We would replant clearings (read old log camps) and during lunch break I would drift away and dig, when we'd pull back heavy forest sod to plant seedlings, there would be iron artifacts and bottles just laying there. I would fill my pack everytime we did tree planting, One day, a higher up confronted me about this,....[8|] Said it was "against policy"I simply went back on my own time to dig, a few weeks later I worked some off hours and needed some requisition forms.....No brass on duty,....Went to my antagonist's office, let myself in for said forms,....OMG! Bottles, arrowheads, and artifacts lining all the shelves,... Gotta love hipocrisy!

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Joe , I had the same thing happen in the summers of 77 and 78. I worked for the Dept. of Interior and State Forestry. One was at Fort Pillow , home of the NB Forrest massacre and Natchiz Trace. I look told to keep on workin', plantin trees, marking trails, shooting lanes, etc. while the straw boss dug his fill and had an office full of relics! Thirty plus years later I still enjoy the finds of those two summers.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
These signs are posted in USFS controlled areas. I LIKE a challenge. Who are they to tell me I can't pick up old trash?
Jimmy Carter, who was supposed to be a bottle collector, signed this law into effect which specifically list bottles as artifacts. I have been warned off federal land, my name taken. If they want, they can take your entire collection, unless you can prove where you got it from. They can also confiscate your truck, atv, or whatever else you are in possesion of at the time. They will assume any bottle that can't be proven was taken from federal land if you are caught digging there. This is one case where I just don't feel the slight chance of reward is worth the risk.
Bill

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Bad experiance there ,dude. Try construction sites on state highways where ROW from the landowner was purchased by the gov. The contractors control the abanndoned homes and property, go mid afternoon and look around . If you have a work crew close by ,find the nearest foreman , ask to hunt relics. If he balks, offer a Cold six pack, beer or soda. If the site looks promising,.. a ten spot too, may be needed. The Memphis Diggers have a huge success rate with this technique and so have I. Good Luck.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler