"No Trespassing"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

luckiest

Reaction score
I just dug all morning on a site with security, the guy was sleeping when I got there, and I bet he's at it yet. Watch your site, check out how they operate and don't let anyone stop you from having harmless fun. (unless they are better security guards then you are a covert digger...)

suzanne

Reaction score
One time a guy called the cops because he thought I was trying to steal car parts. The police officers said he was crazy and let me go.

Another time someone called the cops. They said "You can't be here, there's asbestos", and let me go. They didn't know asbestos has to be air borne to be dangerous. Or maybe they did know but were trying to provide me with an incentive to leave without charging me with trespassing.

Sometimes if you are around construction sites they will think you are trying to steal equipment. So if I see an officer of the law I ditch the bucket and tools immediately to look less suspicious and go back to get them later.

suzanne

Reaction score
One other thing; it helps if you are caught in an area where crime is rampant and the jails are overflowing because the police want to save space for the dangerous.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Late night greetings y'all,

I went out to scout this spot this afternoon. The construction site easy approach is at the end of a cul-de-sac. There was only one person parked on the street, so I thought I would stick out a bit too prominantly, especially if Friday's security guards were still on duty. I cruised around the school & didn't see them. Decided to park on the edge of the projects and walk in from the main street entrance.

Not a No Trespassing sign in sight on the busy street side. Interestingly, they had taken down the chain link fence on this side and replaced it with that orange plastic fence. The radio weather guy said we'd have a high of 86 degrees today. He was about 8 degrees short.

I beat feet over to the retention pond and started in. There was only about 2 feet of the bottom of what I believe was a trash pit left, but it was chock-a-block with stoneware and pottery shards. Lots of banded yellow ware, and broken crocks. Toms of Ironstone shards.

The retention pond sides had all been dressed with light tan colored fill. It felt like what I imagine using one of those old school tanning reflectors,
20050218-reflector.jpg
only giant sized. Hotter than hot. But,I came for bottles...

DSC01506.jpg

This was definitely the older spot. Got some nice stoneware:
DSC01509.jpg
Is the small cylinder a blacking?

It was pontil era, in part:
DSC01508.jpg
Unfortunately, the pontil parts were all busted. A beautiful hair brush back.

DSC01512.jpg
The glass was a little less inspiring than the stoneware. Although, I really like the little lamp base.
DSC01510.jpg
L.H. Olmsted / New York, on the reverse Little Harry's / Night Lamp, base embossed Pat. Mar. 20, '77. A burst top. My first one of these little bitty guys. The L.H. Thomas cone is crude, and perfect.

I didn't get to finish the dig, as I got called home for dinner. Three and a half hours in that broiler pan of a pond-to-be was sweet, though I am completely french fried on the face. Minimum over shoulder looking, cuz I really was hidden down there.

Maybe I can make it back to finish. Here's hoping...

miranda-carmen.jpg

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Congrats on gettin in and out safely...
I like those pottery inks....[8D]
It is good to know all this stuff won't end up on a pond bottom forever.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Trust me there are very few of those John Wayne cop wannabe security guards out there. The one you encountered fits the description quite well, you most likely disturbed his nap.

Hey Joseph,

Oddly enough, I cruised by the back street side of this site, on the way to the retention pond site. There was some freshly dumped dirt in the empty lot across the street, and I was just about to get out and have a look. I was about to crack the door open, when I noticed "John Wayne's" other car, parked in front of me, with him in it. I slowly went on by, noticing that his summer model ball cap had enough fake gold braid on it to outfit a platoon. [8D] I

NOPE! ANOTHER ONE I AIN'T HEARD!WHERE YOU FIND THESE?

Hey Jamie,

Area Code 615 was a favorite southern rock band of mine, back in the day. They were sessions musicians from, oddly enough Nashville. Check them out. I believe the above album was their first.

Good job-----------do you feel better now?

mr. fred,

I sure do! I hope I can dig out the rest, before they bury it.

I really enjoyed reading some of y'all's "No Trespassing" stories. No private property was walked upon, in this case. It was and is "public" property. Very oddly posted public property...

Fields.jpg

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
I find it a little bizzare to be digging for ancient glass surrounded by new earthworks,....[:D]It happens sometimes, and it is just another layer of history,...Congrats on getting back in there and rescuing these fine and interesting bottles and the little lamp is real nice too. Glad you didn't have to deal with the over zealous guard again.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I can see why you wanted to get in there so badly, Surface. I hope you can get the rest of it out of there in time!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn