"No Trespassing"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
After Midnight greetings,

I went back there tonight, and I think I got it all. At least from that pit. Because that one is 10 feet below grade, I was "invisible" to passing security guards.

I did find a little history of the property. The family that lived there were old line monied. Their son was a prominent industrialist and philanthropist. After his parent's deaths, the home was turned into a home for unwed mothers.

Oddly enough, the security guards who rousted me, had no business doing so, as they are under contract to the projects next door. The land is owned by the Board of Reel Good Skooling, and they have their own security. Unless they have some sorta mutual anti-digger treaty...

As I was going home, I saw one of the security guards pulling out of their HQ in the same unmarked black Crown Vic he was driving the other day. I didn't wave, but I did smile...

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions on avoiding or dealing with security. I'm still a little gun shy of digging above ground on this site, at least while it is still posted. The ground level pit has been compacted, and compacted some more. Though the last time I dug in compacted ground, I found that the first foot or foot & a half was really hard digging and that when I got below that, it was normal type digging.

askp6460.jpg

woodswalker

Reaction score
I love this thread!!! I'm going to hit my spot early Saturday morning around 7.....were packing up the tools and having my mom drop us off....since they're about 3 miles down the road she said just call and I'll come pick up your first finds and haul them back and then come back and get you when ever were done!!! I hope we won't be bothered...I'm taking my boyfriend out on his first digging experience[8D] (I think he's scared of bugs tho lol) I didn't mention that theres usually snakes to!![:eek:] Can't wait!!! Been awhile since I've found anything outside a antique store or flea market!!!! Hope this gut feeling I got is a good one[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] If I didn't work all week I already woulda been there but I came home and passed out last night early!! It's been hot 90 degree humid weather here...hopefully it cools down a bit by the weekend!!!
Manda~

druggistnut

Reaction score
I'll enter a commercial lot, but always try to get permissions on vacant homes, unless the Land Bank has it.
About three years ago, an 1860's building on Saginaw St in downtown Flint came down. There were brick buildings on both sides, so it was a hole in the long line of buildings.
The excavators had been at work and were just cleaning out the basements. There were piles of dirt and a couple of deeper holes they had been working on.
I pulled out the 5 footer, my hardhat, potato rake and a shovel and went to it.
Unbeknownst to me, the security guard at the nearby Mott Foundation building was eyeballing me on the Hubble telescope type security camera on the side of his building.
I hear a vehicle pull up and I drop the patato rake. I can't see anyone from down in the hole but someone yells, "hey, come up here."
Flint's finest are there, along with the 70 year old guard. These are two 250 pounders, looking like they would rather be somewhere else.
They wanted to know what I was doing.
I told them that ____ Excavating Co contracted me to come to the site to do soil compaction tests and to also check the depth of the soil to be removed the following day. I told them the company foreman said that they suspected the excavator operators of being slackers and not removing enough soil each day but logging 8 hours.
I could see that they were buying the conspiracy theory and were happy I was there to bust the malcontents.
They left me to my work. I immediately grabbed my potato rake after they left and beat feet to my truck. I wasn't pushing my luck.
I feel I was lucky to have evaded "justice" and always wonder what I missed there at the site of an early saloon.
Bill

whiskeyman

Reaction score
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

BILL...you just made my day...

Surf...ya get anything else ?

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

Maybe when I'm an old geezer I can wonder onto places again, old people can get away with a lot[;)]
At what age do you become an old geezer? I just turned 65 and can dig most 20 year olds into the ground. If you don't think that you look old enough, maybe you can try a disguise or dig with one of us old geezers who "can get away with a lot." [:)]

woodswalker

Reaction score
Wish us luck were heading out to the forbidden foundation!!!! I been up since 6....Josh is moving kinda slow....I may need to light a fire under him to get him moving!!!! Hope we find something cool!!
Manda~

suzanne

Reaction score
Druggistnut, that is hilarious. One time I thought of saying I was with OSHA doing a random inspection for safety violations but I guess you might need to produce verification.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
These signs are posted in USFS controlled areas. I LIKE a challenge. Who are they to tell me I can't pick up old trash?

5588C73A1459411D8CB6ED780E5DC2B3.jpg

Attachments

• 5588C73A1459411D8CB6ED780E5DC2B3.jpg
    5588C73A1459411D8CB6ED780E5DC2B3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 74

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members