Blue Ball Jar Lamp full of marbles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Kim and recently my husband and I have gotten into buying, selling, and trading antiques and collectibles. A lot of both of our families collect Fenton glass so that is how we got started. Recently we found an ad on Craigslist of 2 antique sleds for sale. We decided to give it a try and got a hold of the woman and met at an antique store that had closed. The woman we met with was the owner of the building and stated that the person that was leasing the place just up and left and left all the merchandise there. We bought the sleds and made an offer (low offer) on all of the small items left in the store. We hadn't been gone 15 minutes when we got a call and she told us she'd meet us tomorrow to help pack it up. Long story long in the back of the store was this blue Ball jar full of marbles that someone had made into a lamp. It was included in the lot. I won't let my husband sell it because I think it is adorable. My mother in law said I should find a site and try to find out if the marbles are worth anything so here I am. LOL I'm glad I found this site as we have about 3 - 4 boxes of nothing but old bottles. I'll be the first to tell you I never knew what an apothecary jar was until 2 weeks ago. LOL Anyways on with the pics. If you need closer pics just ask. Thanks for your help in advance and for listening to my rambling.

DSCF7256.jpg

DSCF7257.jpg

My husband's uncles said the metal piece was a ball bearing and they called them "cheaters" when he was young.

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Hard to tell from just one view but most look newer .I see a few Peltier ,Vitros and maybe an Alley and an Akro cork .Nothing really stands out as real valuable to me ,as far as i can see.Looks like lots of Imperials and Jabos (made in late 1980's -1990's) .That is a dirty trick used quite often by unsavory sellers ,throw a couple old marbles in with a bunch of new.They look good in the lamp ! This is a pic of Imperials . [:)]

27365BB713114B63BBCD0698CAA37532.jpg

Attachments

• 27365BB713114B63BBCD0698CAA37532.jpg
    27365BB713114B63BBCD0698CAA37532.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 106

Digswithstick

Reaction score
If reselling it i would keep the ones you like and sell as one piece ,just my opinion .Here are some more Imperials made 1994 as were the others i posted .[:)]

AE9C62AB158C4BF991EB6EDCDA1F76EF.jpg

Attachments

• AE9C62AB158C4BF991EB6EDCDA1F76EF.jpg
    AE9C62AB158C4BF991EB6EDCDA1F76EF.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 106

wvhillbilly

Reaction score
The transparent blueish ones look like the ones you can salvage out of spray paint cans when they are empty. I agree with Digswithstick, most of them are newer and have no value.

LC

Reaction score
I always thought these jar lamps were neat , I used to make and sell them back in the eighties . I would fill them with marbles , buttons , and sometimes just various trinket of different kinds .

Reaction score
Well shoot. Thought I'd find my little treasure box. Am I allowed to ask what one of these would go for? Like in a online store/flea market type thing.

LC

Reaction score
I was selling the ones I put together back in the eighties for ten and twelve bucks , I was using half gallon jars . They sold like hot cakes, then too that was not a lot of money , and I was not trying to get rich on them . Sold more of the ones with buttons in them than the ones with marbles .

You might ba able to make your own . I got the lids and the lamp sockets from my local hardware store back then . You may be able to go to a hobby or craft shop or some place like that and find what you need to make your own . Maybe some one else will chime in with a source where you can get what you need . It is a very easy thing to put together once you get the parts needed . Lid , Lamp parts , cord , and you are ready to go .

LC

Reaction score
I have not fixed one up in ages . I thought they displayed pretty good back when I was putting them together .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese