Lynch & Clarke New York. Mt Vernon Glass Works.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CazDigger

. Once again, I am not saying that L&C bottles weren't made at Vernon, but that no hard evidence has come to light. As far as I know, it is just speculation and it gets passed along like fact over and over. The best proof is a document. Even shards found at a glassworks can be misleading (could be cullet or a random throwaway from the period).

Well said Mark!!!!!!! As a collective group we tend to over-attribute (myself included) and you offer sage advice. You could tighten your statement even further by changing the word "document" to "period document" (even though I think that this is already what you mean). In the future I will be sure to catalog Lynch and Clarke bottles as simply American (even though I have a strong suspicion that at least some of them were blown at Mount Vernon...)

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CazDigger

There are at least seven mold and size variations, not to mention different colors of the L&C bottles, so it is possible that they were made at more than one glassworks.

This too is an important point. Remember, there is strong evidence that SOME marked Keene flasks were made in Stoddard and also evidence that Westford and Willington shared molds. I am also of the strong suspicion that Pitkin, Mather and Coventry shared molds and or split up orders during busy times...

Mountain Man

Reaction score
I guess I better jump in on this. I wrote about NE Glassworks making L& Clarkes in the Spouter Newsletter. It came from a personal communication to me from a young guy who is a direct descendant of Oscar Granger. He wrote a masters thesis on Mt Pleasant and found an invoice from NE Glassworks to L& Clarke. I have not seen this paper myself.

Considering that L&C bottles are fairly available, there should be some frags found at Mt V, especially as they were made for a reasonable period of time.

I have found aqua GV-V frags at Mt Pleasant and there are several whole ones around. I got mine 20+ yrs ago. It just blows away the other colors as it is a dark icy aqua.

Just finished washing up some Mt V shards: GI-30 decanter base in clear, Dr T in clean emerald, usual meds, clean green large handle for a pitcher, lots of clear misc frags. Not all of their glass was cruddy, some was of very high quality. Possible result of the changes in ownership? It is interesting that the majority of the Lafayettes are so full of junk they should never have been released to the public.
Later

CazDigger

Reaction score
Many glasshouses actually advertised their run-of-the-mill bottles (unembossed utilities, etc.) as "junk bottles." Mt Vernon definitely made some high quality glass, esp. the tableware, and if you have ever seen one of the early Mt Vernon seal bottles, wow, they are some of the most brilliant, clear emerald greens without a bubble or potstone, very high quality glass! But also I have some Mt V utilities that are cruddy, foamy crude little bottles in a muddy dark olive amber that def. would be considered "junk" bottles by the glassworks.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well you guys have hit on a subject that I know a little about but I thought I had read some of it before and then I checked the dates and times. WoW - you reactivated an old one and extended it.
I have a few Lewis & Clark SARATOGA Bottles, and appreciate their characteristics. I haven't found enough printed reference to them to cover the history very good. They are interesting for sure, RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese