Should I use muriatic acid?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

It's a Putnam closure. It would've had a cork sliver in it that slides over the lip to seal it.

I would never think of demolishing a Hutter closure. Those are the ones that used the porcelain stoppers. In fact, I will need a few original ones once I find the bottles that match my stoppers...
If your gonna take this Putnam off I'll send you a bunch of porcelain or lightnings in return for this one...let me know Con....Jim

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lobeycat

HASA is a great product! I like to get my big fourty gallon cauldron boiling away under and oak fire in the back yard with about 20 gallons of the stuff. Makes an awful stink and the birds drop out of the sky for blocks around but the results can't be beat. Bring it to a rapid boil, pull up a lawn chair and just wait for the fire department's HAZMAT team to arrive. Best to be wearing a flashy pair of Bermuda shorts and a hockey mask when they storm your back yard. Stops 'em dead in their tracks. I've found scream singing "There's Gonna be a Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight" delays things even further whilst the SWAT team is brought up.
this seems a bit extreme since I told him the proper way to work with it in extremely small amounts....[8|]

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I got to cleaning the bottle today. I used pliers to remove the closure with minimal damage. I will be giving it back to epackage unharmed. Then, I got out some Bar Keepers Friend and went to work on the bottle. This product worked wonders on it. Eventually, the stain just faded right away. I swished some around inside as well, to remove the internal stain. Then, I used Lime-Away to get rid of the rust stain that was left over from the closure. Since the Bar Keepers Friend worked so well, I didn't even need to use Muriatic Acid.

I think the results speak for themselves! The bottle was never buried, so I wasn't cleaning mineral stain, which I know is much harder to remove. Either way, the bottle turned out amazingly. It was a diamond in the rough before...

D1684537E1B740B9AEDF429C293A001C.jpg

Attachments

• D1684537E1B740B9AEDF429C293A001C.jpg
    D1684537E1B740B9AEDF429C293A001C.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 97

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member