Who is this guy???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
OK...

A lot of you guys are probably asking yourselves, "Who is this southern Maine diver" guy? I just came across a picture that I have been trying to load into my personal information file, but I have been unable to do so...

I like to put a face with the name so I know who I am talking with and how to recognize him/her if I ever want to avoid them at the next bottle show!! [&:]

So... here I am and I really want to tell all of you that I enjoy the forum and all of your help and input... I spend hours here now and the "need for glass" has really become a passion. Thank you all.[:)]

Wayne

Om31996.jpg

Attachments

• Om31996.jpg
    Om31996.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 77

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Sweet boat man! I've been wanting to get certified to do some diving possibly in Lake Erie as my grandparents have a place right on the lake. Is it hard to get certified? What is all involved?

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hi Bryan...

No, it's not very difficult to get certified. I got my basic certification many years ago for my fifteenth birthday and I have been diving ever since!!! [&:] It cost my parents $65.00 at that time through the YMCA in Denville, NJ. Nowadays, it costs anywhere from $500.00 to $750.00 depending on what certification agency you go to.

What you need to do is visit several of the local dive shops in your area and find out what kind of program they offer and what the cost is. All certification classes combine lectures, videos, classroom time, practical hands on exercises, pool time and open water check-out dives with an instructor. Most dive shops offer either group certification classes or one on one classes (the 1 on 1 classes are usually more expensive).

The equipment is the most costly expenditure! Almost all dive shop instruction includes most of the equipment needed for certification. When you finally get certified, you need to look for and purchase the essentials. Find a friend locally that is a diver and ask him where is the best place to purchase gear. Find out what you like and don't be afraid to ask the dive shop owner if you can test dive it in the pool!

You can also go on line to purchase discount diving gear or find well maintained used diving equipment in the sporting section of the Want Ad Press. One of the most important items to purchase is a well fitted (custom if necessary) suit. The type you purchase will depend on the water conditions you plan to dive in. Feel free to ask me any questions about the gear or whatever and I'll steer you into the right direction. Hope I helped you some...[&:]

Wayne

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Wayne. I think it might be tough finding someone who teaches the class around my area. I think my only hope would be the local YMCA. I also have another question. I remember when I took swimming lessons many years ago and the pool was pretty deep. I think around maybe 15 or 20 ft deep. [8|] But anway I remember trying to dive down and touch the bottom of the pool and once I got so far down the pressure of the water on my ear drums was unbelieveable. So I guess I'm wondering is... is that something you have to get used to when diving or??

slimdigger

Reaction score
Bryan, You know how when you go up in altitude your ears pop the same thing has to occur in order to equalize the pressure difference when diving. Most people are able to equalize the pressure in their ears by pinching their nose close and swallowing or blowing gently against their pinched nose. The only problems that I have ever had with equalizing was when I tried diving with a sinus infection. I have heard that the pressure will clean your sinuses out really well but it does tend to make a bit of a mess in your mask. People who descend without equalizing their ears run a risk of serious inner ear injury. Wayne correct me if I have any of this wrong . It has been a while. Slimdigger

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hi Bryan... Thanks for your inquiry.[:)]

I'm sure that you can find a local dive shop within traveling distance, to get information on open water diver certification. During the diver training, you will learn about the ear drum, inner ear and the eustachian tube (a slender tube between the inner ear and pharnynx) which one uses to properly "equalize" the pressure between the inner and outer ear (which is divided by the ear drum).

With training and practice, it becomes second nature, just like riding a bike... you do it automatically... instinctively! Painful ear pressure can occur as shallow as 4 or 5 feet! This is not unusual. To push it beyond the pain threshold could cause serious ear damage.

Like Slim described, you pinch off your nostrils and puff a little bit of air in your cheeks. This forces a slight amount of air into the eustachian tube and equalizes the outside pressure (the ear side of the ear drum) with the inside pressure present in the inner ear. This is called "clearing" your ears (equalizing the pressure on both sides of the ear drum).

Rule of thumb is you don't dive when you have a head cold or sinus infection or respiratory infection. What can happen is the infection, mucus etc (the crap you cough up from your lungs and throat) can be blown into the inner ear where it can linger and prolong the infection and give you very painful earaches for long periods of time! A good guideline... you should be able to easily "clear", equalize or "Pop" your ears on the surface and if you can't, it may be an indication that you may have a problems clearing your ears and you shouldn't be diving.

Go ahead and try it at home... pinch your nostrils off, blow a slight "puff" of air into your upper cheeks and you hsould feel a little pop or puff. (it doesn't hurt) Now, just move your jaw and pretend to yawn and you will feel your ears equalize with the outside air pressure.

Many commercial divers are in the water so often, all they have to do is move their jaws side to side or yawn and they can equalize the pressure! They have mastered their technique and like I said, it becomes second nature. [&:]

Sorry... I didn't mean to ramble on or get too technical, I was just trying to explain it the best way I could... The thing to do is get the proper training, get in the water and enjoy yourself and your surroundings! Rembember, this is something that is going to be enjoyable... so do that... enjoy it, have fun with it...

B It takes time to become accustomed to the environment, so don't rush yourself into a situation that you feel uncomfortable with. Like I said, when the "hair goes up on the back of your neck" , your body is trying to tell you something... your'e not ready or prepared for what your'e getting into. Take a few breaths, relax and ...

head back to shore....

Hope this helps you a little,

Wayne[;)]

capsoda

Reaction score
Alright Wayne and Lisa, you ask for it.[:(] WOULD YOU BUY A USED CAR FROM THIS GUY ??? I'm the one with the glasses, [sm=lol.gif] the lady is my wife Cindy. Maybe we can coax some of the other bottle nuts into posting a pic.[8|] Cmon folks, even if its on the post office wall already we would like to see it here to.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Rp42944.jpg

Attachments

• Rp42944.jpg
    Rp42944.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 74

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Warren... nice picture of your wife!!!

I see all of that food behind you, are you guarding it??? Only kidding! Maybe we came up with a good idea for a new forum section!!!! Funny pictures of the fat guys!!!

Sure, I'd buy a used car from you... I'm looking for a step van or cube van for my business... I want to be able to stand up in the van to get suited up, then when I'm finished with the diving, I want to be able to have room in the back for a hot tub!!

Talk to you soon... I just E-mailed you ref the watch.

Wayne[:)]

Qo39633.jpg

Attachments

• Qo39633.jpg
    Qo39633.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 69

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Wayne, nice space suit. Looks like a beautiful spot you were diving. No fish in there after that mug hit the water huh. [sm=lol.gif]Yes, I did just happen to be guarding the food[:)] My wife says thanks.[:D]

Haven't gotten your email yet, shoot it to me again just in case.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese