Very weird jar lid (?)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I presume this to be a jar lid, but I've never seen anything remotely like it. The bottom reminds me of a mason insert except with embossing, but that's where anything usual ends. The top has an extremely strange serpentine shape molded into it, vaguely shaped like an "S". The glass has a very weird, noticeable, almost warped texture to it. There are also some strange notches within where the s shape stops, almost at the perimeter of the lid. The bottom says (backwards, so that you can only see it correctly through the top): "1898 PATD JANY. 11TH. I looked into it, and I think this goes to a Schies Closure or something like that? Is it rare?

D5FF46EF528C474BACC8A16570D77CFB.jpg

Attachments

• D5FF46EF528C474BACC8A16570D77CFB.jpg
    D5FF46EF528C474BACC8A16570D77CFB.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 103

lexdigger

Reaction score
That lid goes to a foods jar. They held various products from sauces to capers. It's was a general type container that normally had a paper label. The one I've seen the most says horseradish.

swizzle

Reaction score
Well here's a new one to add to the list Lexdigger. This is the best that I could come up with. Swiz

Bottlesandsuch005.jpg

Bottlesandsuch006-1.jpg

Bottlesandsuch010.jpg

jarhunter

Reaction score
Hi wheels, covered this in a previous post. Known as a Schies closure. Had a S shaped wire clamp. Redbook #2625. Warren

swizzle

Reaction score
That's good to know man. I didn't expect to see it in the redbook. Very cool. I just wish my paper label was a little bit better. At the bottom of the paper label it says Utica NY. I'm wondering if that's where all of these different bottles and jars originate or if they were plain bottles and jars shipped far and wide to different food companies. Swiz

jarhunter

Reaction score
Hi swizz, redbook states that there were different sizes of jars and that the jars were unmarked. Hard to say which glass house made them. Warren

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28