S Schirmer Emmetsburg bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sparrow75

Reaction score
The bottom has an "S" on it. And it looks like there is 2 S's, but one looks like a ghost embossing. Other than that, there is no other marks than what you see in the picture.

Thanks for the links, i'll do some reading...looks like there is a lot to learn! I'm glad I went back and bought it, it gives me an excuse to do some research.

It has some damage to the base, but I'm happy with my first Hutchinson bottle. Did I do good for $3.50?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Ya did great! Was the extra buck a tip?

ya+did+great+_3e14bdf46f3ab7a8efb06b575e18f1e8.png

sparrow75

Reaction score
No, I was wrong on the price. But when i got to the flea market yesterday (I left work because I couldn't stop thinking that someone else was going to get it before me), the owner was there and I asked him where he got it, and he said an auction. I guess I could have tipped him then!

sparrow75

Reaction score
This seems to describe the marking on the bottom of the bottle which is an "S". I got this from
http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks3.html

"S......................In many cases (if not nearly all) this mark was used by Lyndeboro Glass Company, South Lyndeborough, New Hampshire (1866-1888). The "S" is seen on the bottom of a variety of hand-blown strapside liquor flasks and other bottles that were manufactured there, and which are frequently found throughout the eastern states. (Thanks to Mark Newton for this info)."

The date range of Hutchinson bottles falls with the date rang of this bottle maker: 1866-1888

FC30E0C23DA14B04B50DA8F272D439EC.jpg

Attachments

• FC30E0C23DA14B04B50DA8F272D439EC.jpg
    FC30E0C23DA14B04B50DA8F272D439EC.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 64

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I'd email Ron Fowler if I were you... He is THE hutch man, and will be able to tell you if it's rare... If it's not rare, it's probably a $10 bottle mint. I wouldn't pay $5 for a common local hutch with that kind of damage. But if it IS rare, then you may have done OK...

hutchbook(at)yahoo.com

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sparrow75

This seems to describe the marking on the bottom of the bottle which is an "S". I got this from
http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks3.html

"S......................In many cases (if not nearly all) this mark was used by Lyndeboro Glass Company, South Lyndeborough, New Hampshire (1866-1888). The "S" is seen on the bottom of a variety of hand-blown strapside liquor flasks and other bottles that were manufactured there, and which are frequently found throughout the eastern states. (Thanks to Mark Newton for this info)."

The date range of Hutchinson bottles falls with the date rang of this bottle maker: 1866-1888

The S is for Schirmer, it was very common for the bottles to have the last initial of the bottler...

surfaceone

Reaction score
I'm with Jim on the "S" for Schirmer. Looks like a double strike, lucky strike, or whatever we're supposed to call it, too.

Is there no lettering on the heel?

I can't speak to dollars for this Hutch, though for a small town Iowa Hutchinson bottler, I gotta think it uncommon. No A-BN threads, other than this one, turned up in my searching. I was pleased to find as much as I did.

I think one would be hard pressed to find another just now, he said with his fingers crossed.

Levon-Helm-with-the-Band--007.jpg

sparrow75

Reaction score
Good to know on the s mark. There is no embossing on the heal that I can see. I emailed the hutch Guy and asked his opinion on rarity. Either way its been fun looking at this stuff .....

sparrow75

Reaction score
Good to know on the s mark. There is no embossing on the heal that I can see. I emailed the hutch Guy and asked his opinion on rarity. Either way its been fun looking at this stuff .....

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese