UPS Bottle or JPS?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
I dug this bottle a couple of years ago, and kept it because of the teal color. I was suprised to see it in Mike Polak's ID & Price Guide 4th ed (pg. 150) listed as a UPS bottle. I like the price he suggested, $200-$300, though I don't believe it. The embossing looks to me as 'JPS', has anyone seen this listed as such?

Xs53712.jpg

Attachments

• Xs53712.jpg
    Xs53712.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 69

olddump

Reaction score
Hi Norm, I've dug a bunch of them they are beer bottles and sell for around $20. I have the same book and saw them as the UPS in the food section, And it is really JAS. S PETERSON beer. I have one that is older and a true emerald green that I keep for my personal collection. they are very nice bottles though. Sorry but I wish they were worth 2 to 3 hundred.

Yw67054.jpg

Attachments

• Yw67054.jpg
    Yw67054.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 75

woody

Reaction score
Yes, Tom is right.
I've always known them to be listed as JSP bottles.
I have one, also, so you know they aren't as scarce as some would tend to believe.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Thanks guys, As I said, I knew the Polack $ was all wet![:(] However, is the teal that he considers 'rare' - really rare? I've seen some greens in shops, but not teal green. I'm keeping it anyway, just like it, as it's the only bottle in my collection this color, it lends some 'color' to the line up.[:D] However if I can get him (Polak) to pay me even $200 I'll sell it.[:D]

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Oh, something I forgot, somewhere on the web I came across this bottle with a partial PAPER label over the embossing, it was again listed as some type of 'food' and 'the only known sample'- I'm going to try and find the site, because methinks there was some hankypanky[:mad:]

olddump

Reaction score
I will gladly sell mine to mister Polak for 100 each since I've sold five of them all for less than 30 dollars. I found a spot where somebody must have drunk a six pack and put them all in the trash[:D] it was great. every time I put one on ebay the same person wins them. She says she loves them, as they are very nice and come in quite a few variations on the green color all very nice. My uncle gave me a book [30years old] that has them listed as the JAS. S. PETERSON beer. as soon as I find the book I'll post it's name. Good digging
Tom, Olddump

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hello all,
We have talked about this bottle and regards to Polaks price ranges in past forum posts. Just do a search for UPS or JSP to read other comments.

Reaction score
Hi Norm (and other bottle folks),

We have the same bottle, in the nice teal color, dug in old Shasta, California. Shasta was a gold-rush era town in the western foothills of the far northern Sacramento Valley.

I just joined this list, and really like the format (pictures allowed with posts).

Bonnie

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen