Torpedo Question....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Potlidboy

Reaction score
This is my third post....The two prior were classic pontilled sodas, one from the East coast and one from the "left coast". Although this soda was found in Sacramento, Ca....I suspect it is from the Baltimore area.....It is embossed L.A.Stone. It is a classic torpedo soda 6 3/4" long...It is a little fatter then the long torpedos and is what we referred to as a "cucumber torpedo" back in the day. I found this bottle with two broken brothers, (both of the bro's had missing tops)... I believe this bottle to be American made as evidenced by color & the tapered top....Tod, I thank you for including this bottle in your sodas & beers......Has anyone out there in the internet world seen pieces of or has a basement full of these bottles. I appreciate any speculation.

3302B1D307BC43C2BC332CC9BB17A590.jpg

Attachments

• 3302B1D307BC43C2BC332CC9BB17A590.jpg
    3302B1D307BC43C2BC332CC9BB17A590.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 126

baltbottles

Reaction score
Highly doubt its from Baltimore or Washington Dc the shape and style of embossing are completely different then any known Baltimore made torpedo or ten pin sodas. I would lean more towards New York state or city. I have seen pictures of either this bottle or another similar one before.

Chris

bottlekid76

Reaction score
That is a super looking bottle! I'm looking forward to hearing more about this one. [:)]

~Tim

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Epackage, Chris, Tim.......thanks for the response..........I've always liked this bottle.....never seen another (except for the two brokes).....I put it on Terry's sodas along time ago.....Tod V Mechow also has listed the bottle for me. I'm sure hoping someone will have some information....

bottlekid76

Reaction score
I'm curious if it could have any Philly ties. The A. Stone & Co. fruit jar is from Philadelphia and appears that it could be around the same time frame. Of course, just speculation. Do you have some more photos? That's a sharp looking example.

~Tim

Potlidboy

Reaction score
bottlekid76....I always wanted to make the fruit jar connection as well.... both about same age....Tod V Mechow seemed to give it a Penn connection as well....just not a bunch of info out there as of yet. I'm hoping someone on this forum will have seen pieces.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Mike,

Welcome to the Blue Pages, and thanks for showing this most excellent Stone bottle. I, too, would like to see more photos, please, especially of the base.

Did'ya see the one in this Malay fellow's collection?

IMG_3547.jpg
From.

He's seen yours.

"Saya terbaca dalam internet seorang yang bernama Mike mempunyai botol yang sama. Mike memperolehi botol ni semasa scuba diving dekat Sacramento, California. Botol ini buatan Amerika, mungkin dari East Coast glasshouse." From.

The English Translation is HERE.

Due to the vagaries of googleland, this is a tough one to search accurately. Finding one on the other side of the world makes me wonder all the more about this "L.A. Stone" and his soda water manufactury...

as_m_penang_stone_carving.jpg

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Man that just blows me away..........I will post more pictures soon.....I'm off to speak at our 49er bottle club tonight. I'm so curious about this gentleman's experience with the bottle.....More pic's to follow.

Potlidboy

Reaction score
I'm posting a few more pictures of the L.A. Stone torpedo....the base & two pic's of the embossing...Hope this helps.[:D]

55286B46ED244DCDA5DD79B8154B0F77.jpg

Attachments

• 55286B46ED244DCDA5DD79B8154B0F77.jpg
    55286B46ED244DCDA5DD79B8154B0F77.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 115

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member