Torpedo Question....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Wheelah23....Believe me....New York is not out of the question....there is a real possibility that it is a N.Y. torpedo....New information is constantly being found as we unearth these old dumps & privies.....Thanks for your thread.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
This is a total long shot.
I don't know why I even recall this but I think there was a Louis Stone in either New Orleans or St Louis that ended up in San Fran. I don't remember the time frame either but maybe it's something to go on? [8|][8|][8|]
If it was pre railroad, than Baltimore, Philly etc could have been sent by ship.
Really, I have no clue.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
I don't think St. Louis Eric. I'm really thinking an early NY bottle myself. Other than the top it has some similarities to the Eureka Spring Co. bottle from Saratoga. I also wouldn't rule out it being Canadian, but the top sure seems to point to US manufacture.

~Tim

Wheelah23

Reaction score
American for sure with that top... I'm thinking East Coast somewhere, but only a much more gifted researcher than I can pinpoint exactly where it's from...

baltbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Potlidboy

NyDigger1 Thanks for the reply....I know you are only using the two pictured sodas as examples....These two are much newer then the Stone....anyway....we call the flat bottomed torpedos "ten pins" (shaped like bowling ball ten pins).....The Coles, Beards and others have the flat bottom so I know what you are speaking of. I'm sure you have seen real old ones...I value your opinion.

I have loaded a quick picture of a lite cobalt Cole ten pin....very torpedo like, but a ten pin....The Keech is a true torpedo.

CC43117612CE449583DC3030F17EBE6C.jpg

Nice bottle can you post a window picture of the Keach I'd like to see what color it is. I really like all the colors the keaches come in. Also what variation of the cole ten pin is the one you have. Dose this on have the high up slug plate and the word Street spelled completely out on the back or is it the one that just says St. really small and weak after North Howard.

Chris

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
This bottle has me scratching my head. I have made several runs at it with no luck. Here is what I do know and have communicated to Mike:

There were no L. A. Stones listed in the Boston, New York or Philadelphia Directories between 1845 and 1850. There were a couple of "L" Stones, but none of them were even close in occupation to a soda water bottler. (chair maker, waiter, etc.)

This bottle looks to be of Philadelphia manufacture to me based on the color and lip. I agree with chris that this is not a Baltimore made bottle and likely not from Baltimore.

It is interesting that a "L. Stone" aged 25 was recorded in the 1850 California Census as living "On the river south of Sacramento City" and was listed as a teamster between a boarding house and a grocery. He was from Ohio. Is this the oldest California soda water bottle?

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Sodasandbeers

This bottle has me scratching my head. I have made several runs at it with no luck. Here is what I do know and have communicated to Mike:

There were no L. A. Stones listed in the Boston, New York or Philadelphia Directories between 1845 and 1850. There were a couple of "L" Stones, but none of them were even close in occupation to a soda water bottler. (chair maker, waiter, etc.)

This bottle looks to be of Philadelphia manufacture to me based on the color and lip. I agree with Chris that this is not a Baltimore made bottle and likely not from Baltimore. I would date it 1846-49.

It is interesting that a "L. Stone" aged 25 was recorded in the 1850 California Census as living "On the river south of Sacramento City" and was listed as a teamster between a boarding house and a grocery. He was from Ohio. Is this the oldest California soda water bottle?

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Tod....Thank you for your responce.......In behalf of all of us bottle guys...You provide a wonderful source of information....you are to be commended.[:)]

tigue710

Reaction score
this is a long shot, especially because I think this is an American bottle, but it reminds me some what of this bottle which is an early English Torpedo from the 1850's.

783237A07C314405B2A6918F4A714F32.jpg

Attachments

• 783237A07C314405B2A6918F4A714F32.jpg
    783237A07C314405B2A6918F4A714F32.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 81

epackage

Reaction score
Is this the same exact bottle as the first one you listed Potlid?

The description...

This emerald green bottle is embossed L.A. STONE SODA WATER and belongs to MIKE. It was found while scuba diving near Sacramento, California. It is obviously of American manufacture, probably from an East Coast glasshouse. This is the only known whole bottle; the two others that are known are badly damaged. Can you help him out with any information about this bottle ? Please let me know if you can and I'll pass your info along to him. THANKS FOR HELPING!!

D4129096162A445FA5B02A66BFE9F489.jpg

Attachments

• D4129096162A445FA5B02A66BFE9F489.jpg
    D4129096162A445FA5B02A66BFE9F489.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 88

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85