Cryier stories.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lil digger

Reaction score
What is the biggest crier stories you guys have of bottles braking , whether it happens at home or in the dump/ privy. Mine was when I dug a mug base hutch and set it aside. Then I dug a nice medicine and tossed it up, of course it hit the hutch and it shattered to tons of pieces. Ive never tossed a bottle up since. I always lay them where they are safe.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Once Dave tossed a broken hunk of bottle 30 feet away from the hole he was in towards the river and in landed in his bag with a good colored local med in and obliterated it. I saw it happen. Poor guy [:D]

tigue710

Reaction score
I was once digging privy's in the bank of a construction site in a town with sandy soil. I would cut away the bottom a foot below the hole and dig em out. In one of them as I was hacking away at the bottom I heard the heart wrenching sound of smashed glass... When I cleared away the sand I found I had put my shovel through a nice 1860's Hopkins Union Stomach bitters! It had somehow sunk down in the clean sand under the privy layer, probably thrown in when it was fresh dug and buried in the sand that fell in as the wood liner was built or during early use...

5BFD915A6DD34D468C408BFFBBDBB5D4.jpg

Attachments

• 5BFD915A6DD34D468C408BFFBBDBB5D4.jpg
    5BFD915A6DD34D468C408BFFBBDBB5D4.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 54

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Ouch. As a rule of thumb, if I find a good bottle, I either wrap it to survive an earthquake or bring it right to my car. I almost always use a plastic bucket, too. Those are harder to toss stuff in accidentally.
A friend of mine tucked the crudest Dr. Flint's Quaker Bitters I've ever seen in a yoga mat in his trunk after one dig. We completely forgot about it. The next day he was cleaning his trunk and pulled out the yoga mat. That's when that breaking glass sound make you feel a little sick.

I broke a rare unlisted size of a local druggist once. My shelf had a small crevice in the back which it fell through after I bumped it. It was already damaged, but one of a kind...

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
While diving on a hot summer day, I carefully placed a (still corked) medicine bottle inside a protected pocket in my float where it would never ever get knocked into by another bottle. Unfortunately, the bottle was cool from the lake bottom, the air hot, and it blew up. I've never found another. It was a rare small town medicine from a tiny short lived company. Oh well.

tigue710

Reaction score
that was a while ago Joe, 5 years maybe? They fella in the picture there worked for the company and knew the crew, who picked out all the bottles the excavator dug and gave them to him, then we went back on the weekend and dug 12 privy's out. 1850's-80's. It was fun digging although nothing spectacular came out... All the pontil era pits except for one were father back of the property where the big hole is! We had to back fill the pits in too since it wasn't his job and we didn't want to leave a mess for guys

Jim

Reaction score
My former digging buddy and I trashed a nice, pontiled amethyst perfume once. He wanted to look at it, and as I handed it over, it slipped both our grips and exploded on the pavement [:mad:] Stupidly, we both had our scuzzy gloves on- I thought he had it, he thought he had it- neither of us had it [:(] It was a late throw from an 1890s pit, sort of pumpkin-shaped with a scar pontil, ground lip and a beautiful dark amethyst color. That was about five years ago, and it still sucks to this day and always will.

The aforementioned former digging buddy was good at screwing up, p*ssing me off and doing things wrong, but I honestly have to accept my half of the blame for the untimely destruction of that sweet little bottle. If either one of us had stopped to think for half a second, it would not have happened. ~Jim

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
Hit a 6' stone liner once. Didn't do to bad, got some 80's 90's stuff going down including a nice local beer. Had a little layer on the bottom and pulled a nice colored whiskey cylinder, a smooth bass cathedral pepper sauce and a few plain pontils. Problem was we only took it down on three sides, a huge root blocked us from opening up all four walls. My partner was peeling that one foot which was a mass of small roots from the bottom up. Well this guy was about 2' from the the top and it did not hold up to the shovel. He felt terrible but stuff happens.

13B39F4ADCCB4912992C6832926A7B71.jpg

Attachments

• 13B39F4ADCCB4912992C6832926A7B71.jpg
    13B39F4ADCCB4912992C6832926A7B71.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 69

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member