Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Bixby Bottles

Senior Member Bottle Master

RE: Bixby Bottles

That`s it for the Bixby bottles, I`ll end this with a few rare Bixby pieces that are possibly unique, or at least very interesting! This isn`t the place for all the advertising, wooden boxes, and trade cards, but if anyone is interested, they can send me a PM. Here we have a tin shoe polish bottle with the same applicator as the early, tall style bottles. The top is concave so any excess would run back into the can. The label is for "Bixby`s Royal Polish" with patent dates of Nov. 14, 82; March 6, 83; and Aug. 16, 87 on the label. I never even knew this can existed until a club member brought it in to our local bottle club meeting this past winter. This just proves that no matter how long you specialize in something, you`ll never see everything!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18774240F094482EA9E442FB66AFFBA3.jpg  

Here are 3 of my rarer shoe polish tins, "Three Bee" Blacking, "Three Bee" Plumber`s Soil Blacking, and Bixby`s Best Shoe Blacking. The Plumber`s Soil Blacking was probably a heavy duty, water and grease resistant blacking, and the other two have paper labels and a March 22,1887 patent date, so they are probably two of the earliest ones.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5263A87E2D940FCB2096FC57A79BBEF.jpg  

Here`s my favorite, and probably the rarest, shoe polish tin that Bixby had. The cover is embossed with a guy holding a sign that says "S.M. Bixby & Co.", with "No. 4" above him and "Standard Blacking / New York" underneath him, all embossed in the tin. This is the only blacking tin of any brand that I`ve ever seen that was embossed like this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3391DDA6CDF7456AA4E96E9EBB57000B.jpg  

Stove polish was another Bixby product. The two cakes of "Standard Polish" turn up on eBay every so often and aren`t very rare. The "Iron-Shine" tin I picked up when I was 13 from an ad I had in Bottle News magazine (I`m showing my age now!), and I`ve never seen or heard of another one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C4ED85F42DB642C38C072CB8C8E45388.jpg  

Bixby also sold their laundry blueing in wooden and cardboard round boxes. The French Laundry Blue and The Blue Elephant are wooden boxes with tin tops and paper labels, the French Laundry Blue is scarce, but can be found. The Blue Elephant is rare, but I`ve seen a couple of those floating around also. The Cannon Ball Blue is a cardboard container, and is the only one that I`ve seen, and is one of the more interesting pieces that I have.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5D4F5D4196C746ECB2D29C612A131DBC.jpg  

Last but not least is an advertising alarm clock with the face advertising "Three Bee" Blacking and Royal Polish, with a picture of two kids with a blacking tin and bottle. I have a large advertising card showing this clock in the background on a shelf, so I had hoped that one existed, and then this one turned up a few years ago, and I had to have it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7DA7D323330C45AFA9E4068638BE727B.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master UncleBruce's Avatar

That clock is sweet! [sm=thumbup.gif]

I just found one of these Bixby mucilage bottles on my forest berm. The berm is made from dredge of the Chesapeake Bay and the ground hogs dig the bottles for me. I have never seen anything like it since I am not an accomplished bottle collector. No label, bottle is aqua and in good condition. I'll add it to my little bottle collection. Thanks for all the information!