Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar

Creek gave up a couple...

Got through working early yesterday. Well, I never get through but it was nice out, so I quit. Sue me! Hit the creek which was up a little. Had to take it easy so as not to get a wader full of cold water, but the regular rains recently had blown things out around logs and all. Spotted a few where it was shallow enough to see with the water being a little cloudy and all. Between the deep spots and the rippling, I doubt that I covered more than 30%, so I'm gonna get some chest waders and go back with the view bucket and scope out the deep areas. No embossing, but I'll take a pontil and an applied top seam-side any day. Beats nothing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pontil.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	186187 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pontil1.jpg 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	186188 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flask.jpg 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	186189

Th
    at must have been one bored, bucktoothed beaver!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beaver.jpg 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	186190

Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar
    Wow, to think it had been waiting there 140+ years!
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Senior Member Bottle Finder Screwtop's Avatar
    Very nice! Though slick, they are both very cool bottles.
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Bear View Post
    Wow, to think it had been waiting there 140+ years!
    And I've walked over them for over 40 years. It's amazing how many times I've walked that creek and it keeps on producing. Never a lot or anything earthshaking, but still fun. It rains, the creek swells, the sand and gravel shift, something may surface, walk it, repeat. Can't wait to hit it again!

Member New Bottler
    Those are the kind of slicks I would really like to find. Really like the pair. What is a view bucket? Good day ch
    Last edited by Warf rat; 12-21-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Member New Bottler
    Nice finds. We've used view tubes for work but I never thought about using one for searching streams for bottles - pretty good idea.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Nice finds! I'd be happy with slicks if I was finding slicks like that, especially the one with the pontil. Those are really hard to find up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Warf rat View Post
    Those are the kind of slicks I would really like to find. Really like the pair. What is a view bucket? Good day ch
    A view bucket is just a bucket with the bottom cut out and replaced with clear plastic. You stick it part way into the water and you can see through the ripples and reflections.

Senior Member Bottle Master RelicRaker's Avatar
    Very cool!
    There's a site in my area that had been a dump in the 1880s. Last year developers opened up the ground to lay a building foundation, and I was able to pull more than 30 bottles from the hole and the exposed use layer. The project stalled a few months later, and tho the building's up, there's still a lot of open ground to explore for smalls, inkwells, and marbles. So I go back every so often to check if the rains have revealed anything. A few days ago I went back and found a small, slick aqua bottle with a tooled lip, 1875-1885, under a debris pile. How it survived 140 years plus the dig and the weather, I can't imagine. But it always pays to look.
    HH

Senior Member Bottle Finder GLASSHOPPER55's Avatar
    Yes it always amazes me how a bottle can survive amid bulldozers and trucks driving all around construction/demolition sites.

It's like the bottles (and their history) were meant to live on!
    "Digging Up the Past --- One Bottle at a Time, Since 1969"

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Congrats Sand. That is some early glass. Get some embossed ones next time and you're killing it!