Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Master

Confederate Statues or Losing Minds Over History

So what ya think about em'? What do you think they represent? Think they should be removed from sight? Hate the Confederate flag? How does affect you and why? Seems there have not been many worthwhile subjects here recently, so here's one. Anyone have forefathers that served in the Confederate Army? Yankee army?

I find the removal of historical monuments and the expungement of historical facts to be akin to the book burnings done by the Nazi's but then I'm one of those deplorables who are supposed to hate everything. My family all immigrated (legally) from Germany and I have no problem with the relics of the past as they offer a teachable moment.

Ditto, Coreya.

Member New Bottler

Confederate Statues or Losing Minds Over History

New Orleans Itís now was stump for graffiti. How beautiful it that. And before the race baiting Liberal Democrats said something about it it never had graffiti all those years not once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Truth1253; 02-10-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Member New Bottler
    Quote Originally Posted by coreya View Post
    I find the removal of historical monuments and the expungement of historical facts to be akin to the book burnings done by the Nazi's but then I'm one of those deplorables who are supposed to hate everything. My family all immigrated (legally) from Germany and I have no problem with the relics of the past as they offer a teachable moment.
    I agree. You should see my KKK collection pretty neat. I donít condone it but itís not like these are real objects of history and I love any kind of true history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Bottle Master Screwtop's Avatar
    I do not support this movement of history eradification at all. History is filled with pain, suffering, terrible mistakes and selfishness, but we cannot change it! Political Correctness has gone haywire! These men depicted in these monuments were not evil slave owners, but rather defenders of their state and freedom. Folks see only what they are shown, and what the schools and history shows portray are slave owning, whip toting, bucktoothed southerners who hate civility. There were men like that. I am not denying that. But the overwhelming majority of southern soldiers did not want to fight against their home state, so they chose to defend it. It is the media's and schools agenda to portray the evil committed by the few, so they could lump the many good into the same category. I am sick of seeing monuments of my personal hero's being torn down, without any consideration of the real history behind it. These college kids run around screaming about how evil these men were, without even looking into their personal lives! Almost all ex-confederate soldiers went back to normal life after the war, some even advocating for black voting rights. Only a select amount of crapheads went to causing trouble. THINK before you DESTROY something that you don't understand. LEARN, before you demolish what you are CLUELESS about.
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Junior Member New Bottler
    The bottom line is ... You can prohibit the Confederate flag, pull down every Confederate monument - but, it WILL NOT change the history of our country. We need to keep in mind - we live in the greatest nation in the world, but we'll always be a country that once condoned slavery. We are no different from other countries that have some history they'd rather eradicate.
    These that want them removed should not look at them as offensive, but as losers of a war ending the horrible era of slavery. They're pulling down the losers ... they should look up and smile thinking "we beat y'all and nothing will change that!"
    You gotta remember where you've been, look at the ugly stuff - so as not to repeat it.

Senior Member Bottle Master Screwtop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Lee View Post
    The bottom line is ... You can prohibit the Confederate flag, pull down every Confederate monument - but, it WILL NOT change the history of our country. We need to keep in mind - we live in the greatest nation in the world, but we'll always be a country that once condoned slavery. We are no different from other countries that have some history they'd rather eradicate.
    These that want them removed should not look at them as offensive, but as losers of a war ending the horrible era of slavery. They're pulling down the losers ... they should look up and smile thinking "we beat y'all and nothing will change that!"
    You gotta remember where you've been, look at the ugly stuff - so as not to repeat it.

Good point, Cheryl.
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Doesn't it seem strange that we built monuments to traitors and war-losers?

The worn-out defense which poses the Southern States fighting for their traditional interests against the unfair interests of the nation is a straw-man argument.

The real objection to taking down Confederate monuments is that this effort is perceived as an attack on confederate racial attitudes. And, maybe that's what it is. And, maybe it's about time, more than 160 years after the issue came to a head.
    Last edited by Harry Pristis; 02-12-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it. Last year I saw a grave of a Confederate veteran in a Pennsylvania cemetery. The rebel flag from it was thrown into the weeds and hidden like a piece of garbage. I picked it up and put it back into it's holder. It's a matter of respect for the deceased.