Senior Member Bottle Finder

Amber Coke in 1950's?

I was wondering whether amber Coke bottles were actually produced in the 1950's. There's a person on Ebay selling some from various years and they have not disclosed whether it's an irradiated bottle or not. Seems a little fishy to me.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    I'm pretty certain they weren't. I looked at the ones on Ebay and yes those hobbleskirts are irradiated for sure. I didn't know that aqua glass went amber when it was irradiated, but evidently it does.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    I'm pretty certain they weren't. I looked at the ones on Ebay and yes those hobbleskirts are irradiated for sure. I didn't know that aqua glass went amber when it was irradiated, but evidently it does.
    Thanks for the reply. I believe it's possible but definitely takes more than sunshine to do so!

Senior Member Bottle Master Screwtop's Avatar
    ALL AMBER COKES THAT ARE NOT STRAIGHT SIDED, BUT ARE HOBBLE SKIRT INSTEAD, ARE IRRADIATED. NO AMBER HOBBLE SKIRT COKES HAVE EVER EXISTED.

Sorry for my all caps rant. :-)
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Yes, The older ones turn purple while the newer ones turn Amber, haystraw yellow if lightly irridated & amber if irridated longer. LEON

The wild, wild, west of Ebay. I feel bad for people who are buying those bottles from him, not even realizing the colors have been faked. He also does it with Nehi too! Been selling long enough to know exactly what he's doing. But I see he sells a lot of them.