Wm Frank & Sons whiskey bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fisherman

Reaction score
First, I am not an avid bottle collector so please excuse any omissions or mistakes I make here. I just got a bottle that has UNION and a shield with clasp hands and the Wm Frank & Sons name on one side, a flag and a cannon on the other. The mold mark stops below the crown. It has quite a few bubbles. The mold mark does not go thru the pontil on the bottom. Has this bottle been reproduced and how can I tell if mine is old. It just does not seem to have a good patina. Also, what might the value be if it is authentic. I have a wax seal Wm Frank quart canning jar and it seems to be of better quality in the glass. Any comments would be appreciated.

fisherman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply diggerjeff. I will post a photo of one side of the bottle. I don' t have a good digital camera so it make not be the best. If necessary, I can probably borrow a better camera. You can see the UNION. The clasp hands are below that in the shield. They are difficult to make out on the bottle and impossible in the pic. The Frank & Sons is at the bottom of the shield and it, too, is difficult to read. The mark on the bottom which I think is a pontil mark is very similar to the one on the wax seal jar although the jar has what would appear to be an X in it. This concerned me, because the one on the bottle looked too good. Wm Frank & Sons was a Pittsburgh company and that appears on both the jar and the bottle as PITTs. I know the jar is old, just don' t know about the bottle.

Bz77870.jpg

Attachments

• Bz77870.jpg
    Bz77870.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 90

fisherman

Reaction score
RE: Wm Frank & Sons flask

Here are some photos of the Frank & Sons flask as well as the wax seal jar. The first is the bottom of the Frank & Sons jar showing the name and pontil mark.

Attachments

• Ec89575.jpg
    Ec89575.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 79

fisherman

Reaction score

This pic is the front of the flask with the UNION, clasped hands, shield, and Wm Frank & Sons name although the name is not clear enough to see in the pic.

Ca82870.jpg

Attachments

• Ca82870.jpg
    Ca82870.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 78

fisherman

Reaction score

This pic is the back of the flask with the flag and cannon.

Bz79118.jpg

Attachments

• Bz79118.jpg
    Bz79118.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 68

fisherman

Reaction score

This pic is the bottom of the flask showing the pontil mark.

Fd91857.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Interesting flask, however, the mark on the bottom is not a pontil scar. It appears to me to be mold mark from a post-bottom mold. According to Cecil Munsey,

" The post bottom mold gets its name from the design of the bottom plate. The plate is made like a post and extends up to the part of the mold that forms the body of the bottle.

" The seams on the bottle formed in this type of mold run down the sides and in a circle around the bottom. The significant seam is the circular one on the bottom of the bottle.

" The post bottom may be used in conjunction with other mold types, i.e., two-piece, three-piece, and so forth.

" In glassblowing the main advantage to using the post-bottom mold lies in the fact that because the base plate extends upward into the other pieces of the mold that form the body, the mold can never be closed incorrectly--it is self-centering."

Hope this helps.
-------------------------Harry Pristis

Oldsmared

Reaction score
I have one of these whiskey bottles to sell. Can anyone help me find a buyer? Thanks

epackage

Reaction score
Post pics in the buy, sell & swap section...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis