1,000+ bottles for $100

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I got down to my wife's restaurant a little late this morning. Got tied up on the phone at home. Saw a note hanging in the kitchen that said a local guy had called and had a bottle collection for sale for $100. I know the guy and NEVER thought he was a "bottle guy." Called him late in the afternoon. You know the deal...hundreds, thousands of bottles, what will you pay? Told him I would be right there.

Arrived at his house. House next door to him was a storage haven for his many collectable hobbies. Ceramics, signs, bottles, baseball cards... Claimed he had been robbed many times oves the decades. "The room on your right" was the intro to the house. "What will you give me for those?" Those what? There was a room with many dozens of huge meat boxes filled with what? I tried to look through a few boxes and he kept asking how much, how much? "I don't have time for you to look througth them all!!!!" A while later it was revealed that there were about 15 huge boxes and a few wooden crates full of bottles. He kept saying, "You know there's money there, how much?"

I told him I would be back at 4:30 with a friend (Joe the Crow) and would have his money then. Thanks Joe.

It took Joe's pick up and a van to haul them all away. There were no great treasures except the numerous local hutches and blobs, a few common meds and vets. Hundreds of magnesia cobalts. A pontiled piece quickly covered a great chunk of the $100 cost. The 12 to 15 locals were worth it any way. One was a newbie to me!!! I spent a couple of hours putting 2/3rds of it in boxes and taking them to the recycling center.

I told Joe as we were unloading them, we should have had your camera. Some pics will follow soon. All in all it was worth it. I would have been happy if I dug my azz off for days and got these locals. I suppose it was a mid winter gift. Thanks for reading.

PD

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Dont know why, be even when common $1 bottles get hauled to the recycling center...it hurts my heart. The wife had me throw something in the recycling bin a few years ago and it didnt feel right. I knew it wasnt worth anything, but it was still an old bottle.

glass man

Reaction score
I WOULD HAVE HAD A HARD TIME BUYING THEM NOT KNOWING WHAT THEY WERE. GLAD IT WORKED OUT!! WHY WAS HE IN A HURRY? A TRAIN,PLANE TO CATCH? JAMIE

FloridaRecycled

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Poison_Us

Dont know why, be even when common $1 bottles get hauled to the recycling center...it hurts my heart. The wife had me throw something in the recycling bin a few years ago and it didnt feel right. I knew it wasnt worth anything, but it was still an old bottle.

I agree! I would list them in the "free" section on Craigslist - hopefully spark an interest in bottle collecting - and save myself from having to haul them...the old adage is true...
"One mans trash is another mans treasure"!!!

Congrats on the haul though....looking around at all the things he collects was probably fun too! I love adventures like that!

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
i clean out the burn barrel a couple times a year and dump the wheelbarrow over the side of a hill on the edge of our property. i've begun throwing slightly damaged,slicks or super commons in the same spot. kinda feel like i'm setting up a dig for a future digger.........

jim

athometoo

Reaction score
i posted an ad on craiglist saying (buying old bottles) well i just had a guy call me and say whatcha looking for specifically . so i said sodas , meds, poisons . his reply was oh the good high end stuff huh . long story short he had a bunch of 50s and 60s screwtop that where worth millions to the right buyer . well im not the right buyer . now he wants to follow me when i go diggin so he can pick up the throwbacks . what is this world coming too . sam

ombudsman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: glass man

WHY WAS HE IN A HURRY? A TRAIN,PLANE TO CATCH? JAMIE

Because it wasn't his stuff at all and he was afraid the owner would come home. [:D]

athometoo

Reaction score
ha ha ha ha , [:D] thats a good one . come home early and someones loading up your boxes of bottles . ma get my gun its them revenuers agin. sam

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4