1000 Newspapers

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Blackglass

Reaction score
I was given these a few days ago by the local historical society. It was for me or they would have went to the town dump. Most of them are of the local paper of my town, "The Bristol Enterprise", dating from about 1916-1980, but I (oddly enough) have about 40-50 papers from the 1st 3 volumes, including the 1st issue ever printed, June 22nd, 1878. There were also some unique surprises, including newspapers from all over New England, dating back as far as 1850. One of them is considered to be one of the first anti-slavery newspapers ever printed in the U.S.

DSCN6167.jpg

I started to organize them by date, but I had to move to the garage. The smell of mold isn't pleasing.

DSCN6165.jpg

All these are pre-1900.

DSCN6168.jpg

Anti-slavery publication.

DSCN6172.jpg

EDIT: forgot to change the IMG codes >.<

Dansalata

Reaction score
MAN THAT IS AWESOME...I WOULD HAVE A SPAZ ON A ACQUISITION LIKE THAT CONGRATS!

epackage

Reaction score
Enjoy going thru them, I have alot of newspapers, including 3 full years from 1880's Paterson and many others dating back to 1850...

Plumbata

Reaction score
Awesome score! How exactly did ya go about getting them from the society? The one here would much rather just hoard everything.

Dugout

Reaction score
I know what you will be doing in your spare time all winter long. Keep us posted on the really interesting discoveries you find in them.

bostaurus

Reaction score
I love those old agriculture newspapers like Farm and Hearth. It is amazing to see how far farming and stock raising has come.

glass man

Reaction score
COOL!

I have a newspaper [more small like a magazine] from Baltimore 1824..the reason I love it is because o an aticle about 4 pages long on the question of the "CHEROKEES IN GEORGIA" and what should be done with them...

I live where Cherokees come every year from all over and walk from our "BIG SPRING"[the source of city water and once the place where the Cherokees once lived around!] to our park symbolising the the horrible event "THE TRAIL OF TEARS"...This town even had a stockade here where the Cherokees were kept until all were rounded up here and other places till it was time to send them on there way..in the winter!! Creeks..Choctaws and one tribe I can't think of at the moment were also sent

...In 1824 MADISON was President and was against forced removal..but in the 1830s and under Andy Jackson [who the Cherokees had fought beside and with him in the CREEK INDIAN WAR...the Supreme Court voted against removal but ANDY said "WELL LETS SEE THEM ENFORCE IT"..a sad time in GA. history and U.S. history!!

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Blackglass

I was given these a few days ago by the local historical society. It was for me or they would have went to the town dump. Most of them are of the local paper of my town, "The Bristol Enterprise", dating from about 1916-1980, but I (oddly enough) have about 40-50 papers from the 1st 3 volumes, including the 1st issue ever printed, June 22nd, 1878. There were also some unique surprises, including newspapers from all over New England, dating back as far as 1850. One of them is considered to be one of the first anti-slavery newspapers ever printed in the U.S.

DSCN6167.jpg

I started to organize them by date, but I had to move to the garage. The smell of mold isn't pleasing.

DSCN6165.jpg

All these are pre-1900.

DSCN6168.jpg

Anti-slavery publication.

DSCN6172.jpg

EDIT: forgot to change the IMG codes >.<

You will have so many wonderful hours with these!!!JAMIE

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads