1830 single mast sloop found in Lake MI near South Haven!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

woodswalker

Reaction score
http://news.discovery.com/history/shipwreck-lake-michigan-110331.html

A single mast sloop was found in Lake Michigan while they were looking for a plane that crashed in 1950 killing 58 people.
This ship is sitting in upright position in about 250 feet of water and they looks to be in really good condition....
I would love to be a part of that reasearch team!!
Very amazing story and even more cool when it hits so close to home!!! I hope that there are some artifacts down there and that they can identify the ship...otherwise its just another mystery wreck....with all the rough waters we have had I expect there to be quite a few goodies on the beach...if the wind and cold ever breaks!!!
Enjoy the link all it of course made front page news here :)

Dansalata

Reaction score
that is cool, as i would love to reasearch that one too.. neat article

RedGinger

Reaction score
Cool, woner what they will find? Is the Lake still frozen?

woodswalker

Reaction score
Yes that would be so exciting to be part of...and I can't wait to see what they find. I'm hoping at least some of what they find will be put in the local Museum....
And Lauren....All the ice is completely melted from the harbor and gone from the lake.....Which never actually freezes. You can stand ath the top of the bluff in the winter and see where the ice stops some hundreds of yards past the peirs usually....but if you look closely at the "frozen" parts that are shaped like waves you can see that they are constantly moving with the lake....and whats even more crazy is that people actually walk out there....this past winter a group of kids..20 somethings who know it all walked out and the burgs broke apart...a few made it back to the peir but rescue units had to be called and the others were rescued. They were very lucky. Many people swim in the summer near the peir and do not realize that it has hollow sections undeneath and very huge slabs of rock or parts of the old peir are under there, in a strong curent they can get sucked right in and most times are never found.
I used to live a block from the bluff and would always hear the helicopter and when you see the red ones...thats never a good sign. Of course you know the peir say NO JUMPING and that the structue may not be safe...many young tourists loose their lives here every year...I think I may have some pictures of the ice on the lake on my FB page...I'll see if I can find it and post it :)

RedGinger

Reaction score
Can you scuba or snorkel there?? We're near Lake Erie, as I have said before. In warm weather, it looks like any beach. It's a relaxing, great place. Not sure if it's clean enough to swim in, but I saw others do it. So, I am planning on getting there somehow for a beach day, this summer! In the winter, it is very weird. It freezes completely, waves frozen, eerily quite, no pun intended. There are supposed to be lots of shipwrecks in there too. Do you still get Lake Effect snow? At least once Erie is frozen, we don't get as much from there. We do just get a lot of plain old snow and apparently some all the way from Lake Huron!

surfaceone

Reaction score
shipwreck-hall-825x464.jpg

Covered in Zebra Mussels!

Dansalata

Reaction score
NEAT FER SHO!!THEY HAVE ON IN SANFRANCISCO SEEN BECAUSE THE TIDE IS SO LOW , A LOCAL SAID IT HASNT BEEN SEEN FOR 50 YEARS

woodswalker

Reaction score
Hey Laur...people snorkel, dive and do lots of metal detecting...South Haven and all the way up the coast is all tourist trap towns...the lake is great for swimming as long as its warm enough...Last year they had to close down some swimming areas because of high Ecoli levels...but the beach is always safe and a beautiful place to be. And boy do we ever get the lake effect snow here!! Just as long as we don't get anymore until next winter I'll be happy!!

I will look for those pictures I have of the "frozen waves" I may not have them any more(my laptop was stolen last winter along with 4 years worth of pictures) So I will see what i can come up with!
And if you ever get a chance to take a vacation come to Michigan!! There are so many places and beautiful spots along the lake here!! I'll be back soon with a picture if i can find one!!

Mandy

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles