~~~ 1840's... Black Glass ~~~

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
These are substantially older, European I believe. Still quite impressive. With black glass, one should not be able to readily see the light come though easily. The color always remains blackish more so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with ROBBYBOBBY64. This is an excellent window bottle in amber glass. Not black glass. Here are some black glass bottles in a window:

View attachment 216158

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I believe the collector definition of "black glass" is a bit more liberal than btt claims. That definition is expanded to include the translucent shades of olive green such as a couple of the top shelf onions among those in my window picture. The extreme example of this more liberal definition is the sealed cylinder on bottom shelf (second from left).

Translucent amber, it seems, does not qualify, although there is plenty of olive-amber "black amber" glass to be seen. The little amber pocket flask is very dark amber, but it does not qualify as "black glass" -- it's just dark amber.
flaskteardrop.jpg

Here's an olive amber "black glass" bottle, a Ricketts 3 piece mold. The olive-green preserves jars I consider "black glass."

patentricketts-jpg.216162
bocauxtriomix.jpg

Attachments

• patentricketts.jpg
    patentricketts.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
I believe the collector definition of "black glass" is a bit more liberal than btt claims. That definition is expanded to include the translucent shades of olive green such as a couple of the top shelf onions among those in my window picture. The extreme example of this more liberal definition is the sealed cylinder on bottom shelf (second from left).

Translucent amber, it seems, does not qualify, although there is plenty of olive-amber "black amber" glass to be seen. The little amber pocket flask is very dark amber, but it does not qualify as "black glass" -- it's just dark amber.
View attachment 216166
Here's an olive amber "black glass" bottle, a Ricketts 3 piece mold. The olive-green preserves jars I consider "black glass."

patentricketts-jpg.216162
View attachment 216164

Love that amber flask! What a beauty, butt so are the food bottles, middle pic

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've dug a few Black Glass. The one I hit with the Probe & it was only like a foot below ground. dug a test hole to see what I hit. LEON.
P1080298.JPG
P1080301.JPG

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler