1840's? Looking for the top/stopper and info.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi all,
I picked this up at the antique show next door to our bottle show this weekend. I don't usually buy decanters and or collect them, but I fell in love with this one and the price. The dealer, which had an excellent booth set up, with mainly early glass, flips, other decanters, etc., had very little information to add. He said it was circa 1840 and that it was blown into a mold, which seemed clear to me anyway. I've checked all the McKearin books I own, and can't find one similiar. I'm not saying it is scarce, but I am interested in finding a top close to the original one. Hopefully, someone here can point me to a picture of one or a line drawing. It is 9 3/4" tall and 4 1/4" at the base. The shoulders and neck area are eight sided. The chunk of irregular glass used in the flarred lip is 2" wide. Very wavy and crude glass with and improved pontil scar, but is still sharp in areas. It is much more beautiful in person and to hold, like most bottles can be.

Sq46706.jpg

Attachments

• Sq46706.jpg
    Sq46706.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 69

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Here's another look at this decanter...

Mk27409.jpg

Attachments

• Mk27409.jpg
    Mk27409.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 85

David E

Reaction score
It is pressed glass and looks to be crystal(leaded). Like you say way back in the 40's. The first pressed (pattern) glass was crystal because they beleive (Like cut glass) that it had to be strong. Without looking it up . around 1860 they began using the same lime type mixture as bottles when they found it to be cheaper and strong enough. So bet that is why it sparkles when light hits it. Also should feel heavy because of the lead.
If that is a ground throat then it needs a stopper but if not it may not need one. When the briliant years came around about 1885 to 1915 (for cut glass) they cut almost every part of the glass because of new cutting methods found. I have one trying to sell at $1,200.00 but don't think I am going to get that much. One in anntique book looks just like it for more. You know most of this I am sure but that's for (50Cents + Tax)
Dave (I think I have about 500 pieces of pattern (pressed) glass.
Also in looking again at that check to see if edges are sharp or dull, some of them were pressed so deep they look like cut untill you feal the edges, if dule it Pattern.
Dave (senior discount)

olddump

Reaction score
I have a load of various glass stoppers. Do you have any ideas on what it may look like? I have at least 25 really fancy ones any of whitch would look good stuck in a nice bottle as that. Give me an idea. Good luck. Tom

IRISH

Reaction score
Finding one that fits is always a bit of a problem, I wonder if you used a vernier caliper to gauge the inside diameter of the opening then it would save having stoppers sent that are the wrong size.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hey, Meech . . .

Nice decanter!

I have been to a number of big antique shows where someone is set up to "repair" crystal -- grind and polish the chip, that is. These people also have a wide array of new stoppers suitable for a fancy decanter. PLUS, they will grind the stopper to fit your bottle, if you bring it with you!!

Good luck!

-------------Harry Pristis

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
David E. Hello, This is not pressed as far as I can tell. Very much blown and probably mold blown, applied glob top/lip. It's not crystal and does not have the associated weight. Large pontil scar in the center of a worn edged bottom.

Irish Hi, I hope no one just sends me one...I was just hoping that maybe somebody had seen one like this with a top/closure. A shot in the dark maybe.

Harry Thanks...I liked it immediately and had to have it. Great advice and I attend many of these shows, when time allows. I haven't noticed services like this before, but will keep an eye out for them in the future.

It isn't extremely important to find one, but interests me a bit. Thanks all for the help.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen