1848 Knickerbocker Soda Water Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

unnamedny

Reaction score
Hello guys that's my first post so please take it easy on me.

I found an interesting bottle yesterday at one of my construction sites. I did a little research and it seems like this bottle is actually pretty rare and has good value. What I could not have find is if my bottle color is just something I need to clean off or the original glazing. On sides of the bottle says 164 18th st NY 1848, W.P, sodawater, Knicker, Bocker If someone can help me to evaluate that bottle that would be nice too. Thanks.

0602162150.jpg0602162144.jpg

Attachments

• 0602162144.jpg
    0602162144.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 0602162150.jpg
    0602162150.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 137

hemihampton

Reaction score
KnickerBockerSodaWater2.jpgMe & my Digging buddy dug a broken one of these about 3 years ago at a Detroit Construction site. Soon after that I did some research on it. I've seen quite a few of these on ebay then & over the years & in Auctions ect, ect. From the many amounts I've seen & no shortage of them I do not think it's that rare. But they do seem to be desirable & can vary in prices widely. I've seen them get anywhere from around $200 to near $1,000 if mint. I think yours was made in a Cobalt blue but from many years in the ground has gotten that irridecent multi color look which is common on dug bottles. Some like that look & some don't. Matter of Opinion. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vary. LEON.

P.S. Welcome to site & that's a good bottle to dig, did you find any others?

Last edited:

unnamedny

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't collect bottles so I will most likely sell it. I doubt I will find anything else, since that job site is almost done. It was found around one of oldest religious buildings in NYC.

botlguy

Reaction score
I don't know the value or rarity of that particular bottle but PLEASE do not remove the "Patina", it adds value in my opinion. If the bottle has no damage such as chips, cracks or major scratches I will offer $200 as is. If the Patina were removed I wouldn't want it at any price. I have a number of "Patina" or iridescent bottles and I don't care what they held originally.

If you want to accept my offer please PM me. Feel free to wait for other opinions. Nice find !

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'm sure somebody else in here knows more about then I do? LEON.

PS_1015W_BUELLER_PIC2.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I don't know anything else about it but definity a neat bottle to find at work

Mudbug

Reaction score
I agree with botlguy, don't clean that patina off, it adds character to the piece.It's not original to the manufacturing process, it's caused by the chemicals,salts, PH and other factors in the ground where it was buried.
In picture number 3, the light shines thru the top a bit and I see that this bottle is a blue color, perhaps cobalt blue? Would that be a fair assessment of the color of it?
That is a very nice soda from NYC,but, give us a pic or 2 of the bottom, where the pontil might be, please.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Hello. That staining on your bottle is known as the " Benicia" effect because the vast numbers of bottles dug in Benecia California had that staining on them. It is regarded very well in the bottle world, and there are collectors who just collect that type of bottle, and I would think that a fairly rare N.Y. Soda bottle will bring good money with the "Benecia" effect. Leave it just like it is and let the buyer decide...........Andy

hemihampton

Reaction score
Maybe throw it on ebay & see what happens?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn