1855-1865 Union Clasp Eagle Flask Aqua Blue Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Blutchtique

Reaction score
Here is another recent find of mine that I thought some of you may enjoy seeing and I would appreciate some feedback on. Apparently is it from sometime between 1855-1865 and is about 7 1/2 inches tall. The top has lots of imperfections upon it being made with a huge bubble. There are no chips or cracks. Pretty much just some haze on the inside. What type of top is this called? Also is it one of the more common or more rare variations? It seems like there are quite a few out there. Thank you as always for your insight my friends in advance. Have an awesome day everyone! : ) --Anthony

IMG_5066.jpg

IMG_5068.jpg

IMG_5067.jpg

IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Its one of the group 12 .. maybe GXII-20 or 21??? Hard to tell from your photo. I'm assuming its a pint.
Considering its a post mold I would expect the date to be more like the 1870s.

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
RE: Nice Union Clasp Eagle Flask...

That's one that I have listed in my book, The Collectore's Guide to Civil War Period Bottles and Jars, 3rd Ed. I found one while excavating a non-disturbed Civil War site in Alexandria, Va. They're not rare, but any Civil War collector would love to have one.

Mike

appliedlips

Reaction score

Id agree with Matt's date,while some may have been made late war,especially the union cannon molds, most were made post war to celebrate the preservation of the union. Have dug a bunch of these and normally in late 60's-70's layers.

appliedlips

Reaction score

I would call the top an applied ring, and value wise $60 +/-

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The canon molds are midwestern arent they?
Still learning about flasks here.
Been reading Jay Hawkins' Glasshouses & Glass Manuf of the Pittsburgh Region , very good ref.

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
This one is exactly what I dug, as previously mentioned. The information I gave in my book was very difficult to get, but that one was dug by me in a Civil War undistured site.

Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide