1977 Find of a Lifetime

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Digger George

Reaction score
oh ya well look what I found! Two Butterflies eating a Dead Frog. I thought butterflies only ate nectar? This is the find of a lifetime!
IMG_3117.jpg

bevyn

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

That's a great story... reminds me of the time we dug the old Kilmer plant out in Binghamton. Its amazing no one thought to dig there before. We found a chest with 666 bottles of Dr Kilmer's Catarrh Cure mint with labels and contents. I have been selling one bottle every five years as to not bring down the value. We even found Dr Kilmer's body in an amazing state of preservation still sitting at his desk clutching a pen. We didnt disturb the body due to our reverence for the old man.
666 what an unlucky number, pretty sweet tho!

baltbottles

Reaction score
George,

Those butterflys are actually sucking Salts out of the dead frog. They feed on flower nectar however they like all living things need mineral salts to survive. Which flower nectar contains very little.

Chris

Digger George

Reaction score
Chris you are so brilliant! I was waiting for someone to say that. I just needed to post these pics. Now lets go find some privies to dig or abandon houses to raid or whatever. Baltimore Bottle Show this Sun, BooYaa!

preditor

Reaction score
OK boys, I have said this too many times.... Get over it. If you can't.. leave. I dont care whos right, and whos wrong, its been going for long enough. I have a feeling another war is in the making here, and I dont like those, they never end up with anybody winning.....

You have been on for a long time, I respect that and your opinion has been heard. however, I wonder if it didnt make things worse instead of better. when I read all this "I have said, I dont care, get over it or leave" stuff only made me think "now who's mama did you say you were"
We all have a right to post our opinion, even you and Big Jock.
My Opinion is, if you see a post you don't like, then don't read it.;
Preditor[8D]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
oh ya well look what I found! Two Butterflies eating a Dead Frog. I thought butterflies only ate nectar? This is the find of a lifetime!

You assume the butterflies only started eating the frog AFTER it was dead. Wouldnt it be great to find out that the butterflies stalked and killed the frog?[:D]

BigJock

Reaction score
BottleNut Boy you speak out yer Butt.

I can proove all I ever found all over Scotland in rarieties. my rare finds mentioned in many books and news media,
Gilbert Rae Green Top Ginger Beers at Gilbert Raes as stated English Dealer Roy Morgan of Northampton who had a book called KOLLECTORAMA bought everything that Angelo and I found, was in the monthly magazine at that time edited by Roger Green "Antique Bottle Collectors", also found Green top Guinness stout botles, Pattisons whisky Jugs, Rare Patents called Edward patents all went to Peter Savage of Coventry Bottles at that time,Was at Knebworth show that year met Ted Fletcher famous bottle collector author, Chris Hunt famous Cream pot collector, Alan Blakeman, owns today BBR magazine
even read by Americans, I was first to find White Ginger Beers Comrie of Helensburgh, transfer of Victorian Man holding a bottle of Ginger, Russells of Banchory Ginger Beers that had unusual patent tops,First to Find Green transferred Comries of Glasgow. Wilsons of St Andrews inverted Ginger Beer white shoulders red tops found in minatures also, first to find F Danks with Dunfermline Abbey on Transfer, First to find in Cobalt Blue Nurse Ednas cough mixture, found a castle dump at Tillicoultry in Clackmananshire that had hundreds of Prattware lids on top just lying in grass, also had underground Stone case gins and Double teakettle inks, Also dug with americans who visited me and we dug Heavily Embossed Thistle whisky bottles James Dixon of Leith, first one sold to Roy Morgan who sold to a guy in adelaide australia for $1000, I then found others and kept, and anyone an american ink collector, will have heard of William Colville Collection of inks was selling up and I sold all my collection and bottles etc and bought quite a bit of his ink Collection could be verified by the Famous Kenny Gallon of Falkirk ands other wellknown Bottle and pot lid collectors,,

Then in 1980 my house caught fire lost all collection my wife and daughter and I never collected anything again. just still take interest and help others, I dont need to lie about anything I ever found,, sadly hobby got ruined by to much commercilised and now they even use Earth diggers and bulldozers to do dumps, thats not digging for fun. trieds digging in USA my family moved to Kansas and I stayed with them a while diggers there dig in old wooden shacked Johns, ghost towns,mines, didnt like to many rattlesnakes nothing like that in Britain.............In 70s when bottle collecting started in Britain most bottles sent to USA as americans went crazy for anything in Cobalt blue, in Australia they loved Scottish bottles from Perth and places in auz with scottish names.Americans even bought milk bottles, they were so nieve they even bought Oven stonedware shaped like hedgehogs english collectors told them they were for cooking real vermin in 1900s, Now Ebay ruins the hobby, most people cant be bothered to dig and foolish people pay many bucks for a fifty cent codd.I have even noticed on ebay many english people who had fingers burnt buying handpainted bottles with staining used in church window repairs, next will be a tartan cottage ink.

Lordbud

Reaction score
How sad...in suzanne's :') cleaning and repairing area:
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-295393/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#296546

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the 1970s discovery of the huge hoard of Gilbert Rae green top ginger beers, signs, ephemera and other stuff is well known here in the UK.

It did happen. If it hadn't happened the Gilbert Rae green top bottles would now be £1000+ items. As it is they change hands for less than 1/20th of that amount, even after 35 years of dispersal.

Whether or not the discovery happened exactly as Big Jock says (from my memories of old magazine articles about the find, it probably did) the responses of some folks on this thread are amazing.

Pontils and pre-1850 stoneware are my main collecting interest, but good luck to the many folks who collect that later stuff. (but I do have bottles as late as the 1930s, including some very rare and interesting ones, because they add important details to the story of patent medicine quackery).

Here are a couple of attractive ginger beers my digging buddy and I found about 5 years ago, both from one hole. They both date to the late 1890s but there's no real difference between these and many, many others dating to as late as 1920. Combined value of these is about $2.5k. Both rare, both very attractive items. Neither of us collect these things so they've both gone (via swap deals) to homes where they'll be more appreciated.

B336824820FC4448BF24952FC96EDA21.jpg

Attachments

• B336824820FC4448BF24952FC96EDA21.jpg
    B336824820FC4448BF24952FC96EDA21.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 63

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles