1st Dig in Key West

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ConchDigger

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just did my first privy dig. "Wow" is all I can say. My grandmother dug the beach dumps down here for years and I, to this day, have never seen a more extensive bottle collection. But, I don't think anyone has ever really dug the privies in town. If you're familiar with Key West, you know it is an old "wrecking" and shipping city and received imports from all over the world. The privies are stone lined and not that deep as we are near sea level. My first dig was on top of the only "hill" on the island where the properties date back to mid 1800's. I found that many of these properties have been in the same families for years and they sometimes didn't remove all of the stones from around the tops of the privies when they took the enclosures down. So far, in the three yards I have permissions in, I walked right to the back and found the stones still outling the privies. On my 1st dig, I got a couple of pontils, some Cuban ales, and lots of old medicines/cures. But, the neatest things I found were gold! No, not pirates gold...although there are old pirate's treasure stories here on the island. I found a 2" diam. victorian gold lion's head locket with ruby eyes and a diamond in the mouth and an gold encased pocket watch (looks like 18 kt, but no stamping on it). I also found a porceline doll, an old bullet casing, and lots of marbles. Is that unusual? I haven't really seen mention of those sorts of things in that quantity on one dig. One thing I found that is probably unique to Key West was alot of conch shells - the old timers sure did love to eat 'em back then! I don't even think that was the oldest pit on the property either. I've got a couple more permissions already and can't wait to make time for them. Does anyone here ever dig down this way? We'll thanks and I hope I haven't bored anyone.

ConchDigger

richf

Reaction score
Hi Brenda and welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you have some decent digging down there in the "Sunshine State." What were the pontiled bottles you found? The locket sounds like a real winner.
I'm sure you haven't bored anyone and I look forward to hearing more stories from you.
Rich

Yooper14

Reaction score
SOmebody had a BAD day a long time ago when they wiped...and brough their hand back without a ring on it! Sounds like some great finds!!

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
ConchDigger...

Hey Brenda, you sure haven't bored anybody on this forum...I think we're all thinking about making a road trip to KeyWest!!![8D] It sure gets cold up here in Maine, and I like the warm water and warm weather of Florida in the winter...[;)]

Sounds like you sure hit a great spot diggin. Now we are all waiting for the pictures...[:eek:] the photos...[8|] the show and tell, specially the show...[8|] We, on the forum, love to see how, where and what you find... it kinda makes us feel that we somehow, participated in your dig, your quest...your achievement. On your next dig, take your time, bring a small digital camera and do your own little photo shoot... take a "photo op" , keep a scrapbook of your digs and your finds...

you'll be amazed at how you remember each dig... each find... each memory . .. every detail... and we on the forum will have participated in a small way, but we'll be able to share some of those moments with you. [:)] You'll get to a point where you pick up a special bottle and you'll remember when you found it, where it was found , who was with you... it's a great experience and a terrific hobby.

Oh, did I tell you? Welcome to our forum family. You'll get a lots of info, lots of helpful hints... lots of Kudos on your finds and a few laughs here and there. Hope to chat with you again... welcome aboard!

Wayne[&:]
It never rains underwater

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Brenda, great to hear that someone is digging the key. There should be things to find around there that date back hundreds of years and you are probably just scratching the surface. The others are right, we love pictures and dig stories and the stories of gold and other objects other than bottles intrest us too. I am trying to put together a straight sided Coke collection so keep me in mind when you hit a Key West Coke bottle hole and watch out for tha Southern Main Diver dude {Wayne}. I think there is something wrong with him. He likes to play with his thumbs. [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Hey Wayne!!![:D]

So post some great pics, Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas.[:)]

ConchDigger

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just lost my whole post trying to figure out the photo upload [&:]

Cornicopia/Urn flask (professionaly cleaned as I don't trust myself yet!), some medicines I liked that aren't cleaned, three black ale/wine sand pontiled (I think), and one aqua whine (french?) that has bubbles, wrinkles, is irregularly shaped and has a kickup with a scar (the glass blower should have been ashamed of himself - I'm suprised it held liquid!). There is also a black glass three-part molded too.
I'll send the other photo next as I'm affraid this one might be too big.

ConchDigger

3305A91B35644A23978122B86A8EFD6E.jpg

Attachments

• 3305A91B35644A23978122B86A8EFD6E.jpg
    3305A91B35644A23978122B86A8EFD6E.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 62

ConchDigger

Reaction score
Alright, so I got the photos mixed up. Don't laugh I'm still learning the photo uploads. This is the photo I described in the last post. The last photo was some of the little stuff I found on this dig. The only thing I forgot to take out of the case in the photo was the little "Nubian Tea" I found on the beach. The last photo has the two gold pieces it took me FOREVER to clean and all the marbles, shot glass, doll, toothbrush, etc. I loved all the different marbles - can you beleive they are so varied and there are clay ones too. Also, the two white boxes are glass. They are Nadinola's which contained an ointment to lighten scars on African Americans. I got oodles of other small bottles and alot of the early 20th century bottles with cool shapes like you see in the very back

Boy this was an exciting dig!! I can't wait to do the yard across the st.

ConchDiggerreet

8A312079F2164F55A0B5F7949F1AA170.jpg

Attachments

• 8A312079F2164F55A0B5F7949F1AA170.jpg
    8A312079F2164F55A0B5F7949F1AA170.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 61

richf

Reaction score
Nice, Brenda, very nice! The flask looks great!
What's that small, greenish med in the first photo?
Nice digs,
Rich

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
Nice haul!!! I would have never thought you'd find so many marbles down your way. I always thought the kids up north played marbles cause they had nno beach to go to.LOL

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn