2 glass globes?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

slag pile digger

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I answered an craig list ad for bottles.........mostly common.....but had these...anyone know what they are? Thanks in advance.. Michael

F9E9CC55FA204713A84536B549B4E2C6.jpg

Attachments

• F9E9CC55FA204713A84536B549B4E2C6.jpg
    F9E9CC55FA204713A84536B549B4E2C6.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 77

tftfan

Reaction score
Those are cool, whats the best way to date those?

farmgal

Reaction score
Dang I knew the answer and I'm to late..My in laws found a couple of those while in oregon along the coast. They had little crabs on them so they tossed them in the ocean..LOL!! farmgal

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So I have to say Thanks for showing your Fishing Floats, slag pile digger. They both have very heavy closure blobs for their diameter, but they are interesting to collect. I must have thirty of them form your size all the way up to about 20" in diameter. One is even a rope covered bottle that was used for the same purpose. I also have a book that gives a lot of history of them. The main use was in the Pacific, but I have one that was made in Sweden and marked so. I picked up some on the shores of Oregon an Washington. The different methods of making them and sealing them, is what fascinated me. I have one that was machine made by the Glass factory in Washington State.

I also have some witches balls that were made as very clean spheres and some Lightening Rod Balls that are spherical.
Glass is a fantastic media in many facets of development for application. I love it. RED Matthews

slag pile digger

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's folks......... I too am fascinated by glass...I couldn't resist picking these up.......They look great in my bottle cabinet!!!! Here's to everyone finding GREAT GLASS for their collections.... Michael

botlguy

Reaction score
I always hate to be the guy to throw cold water on enthusiasm but if folks are going to pay big bucks for stuff, they need to be informed. Even small expenditures require some knowledge. Some of the large fishing net floats can bring in the mid-four figures. These smaller pieces can be contemporary / newer. They are VERY easy for any competant glass making facility to make. Requires only minimal skill. One sees these in souvenier shops all along the northern California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Alaska coasts and some are "authentic" and some are not. Since some "authentic" pieces are reletively new it makes proper identification difficult. Maybe it doesn't matter, we have floated older and newer ones in our ponds. We have a LARGE one and several smaller ones that were given to us by an Alaska Commercial Fisherman friend he took while fishing. Looks considerably different than the gift shop variety.

Bottom line, if it makes a difference, get an education. No matter what, they are neat objects if you didn't pay too much for what you got and you got what you paid for.

Enjoy! ! !

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I still think they make the perfect .. ghost cages.. isn't so? Who knows what phantom is trapped inside there...?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler